New Allies

Hania turned out to be an intelligent conversationalist. She was kind in her observations of people and she radiated the old school class.

"So you decided to look into industrial management?"I continued the conversation as we both tasted the appetizers. She picked up the canapé and gave it an experimental sniff. I waited for her as she took a small bite.

"Yes, Baba (Dad) wasn't too pleased with the choice but he backed down when he realized I could be an asset to his company" I smiled. Parents. "You studied Political Science? Izzy told me you used to love building things? Such as houses and stuff"

"Hahahaha, I just liked playing with his legos. Real-life is a lot different. Now I like fixing things. Is it any good?" I said watching her take another bite. She nodded, her eyes bright and focused. I took a bite. "You're right, it's good. Good choice" She beamed and moved towards the next entry.

"Did you get a look at the guest list? I feel like we've invited the whole country"

"Seems like it. No, I'll be prepped the day before once we're sure who's coming and who's sending a rep"

"Does it get tiring? Being around so many people at once? " I turned around to give her a questioning look. "I'm sorry, it's just, you're all so...out there. Everywhere, there is no room for mistakes, I guess I'm a little bit nervous, that's all" I stared at her trying to decide what to say.

She seemed to be genuine in her concern but I was trained to not let my guard down easily. With all her manners and polite demeanor, she was not. Her father was a tradesman. He rose up the ranks of society and now his daughter was marrying into one of the most exclusive families of the country. She was right to be cautious. Private mistakes led to private censure but public mistakes led to a downfall.

"I'm sorry, I just thought you'd know. Izzy said you didn't like being in the spotlight", She added with an embarrassed cough. "I am nervous..."

"Nervous? What's wrong?" Izzy interjected after finishing his talk with the head chef.

"Nothing... just girl stuff", Hania said trying and failing to hide her previous expression. The girl was a horrible liar. She was not wrong to be nervous. Izzy gave me a worried look. I reassured him with a small nod.

"Yes, and my advice would be to not stress too much about. Rania and I'll be there, every step of the way. You're family after all." her face cleared up at my reassurance and she gave me a bright smile. "So what are we having next?" I said, striding forward to the next sample.

"So then I said, why not fly the flowers in from Dubai? It's so much more economical." Hania explained to Rania. Rania nodded along to her words. I sat back and observed the two.

"They're the same aren't they?" Izzy said from beside me. I smiled.

"How do you know?"

"Know what? What you're thinking? I've become attuned to it" I turned around to face him.

"Is the house ready for her? Did she like it?"

"Uh-huh, she loved it. Beachfront property and all that. It's strange to be there sometimes. I feel my parents would have minded that I have not stayed there often. And now I'm bringing someone in to live with me? Wonder what they would have thought of her" his hand covered mine and I gave it a light squeeze. His eyes were sad.

"They would have loved her. And no they wouldn't have minded because you were with us. We would have minded if you'd stayed there since we wouldn't have been so close then." He smiled.

"I've missed you, Eli. I know it's going to be a crazy week, but I'll try to spend more time with you. You're only here for a week. Maybe after all of this, Hania and I will come and visit you in London."

"I would love that" I replied, moving my hand from his.

"Rania told me that Ferozeuddin was coming to the wedding? Who invited him?" Izzhaan said. I threw a sharp look at Rania who gave me an apologetic shrug.

"He's such a tool", Hania said having a bite of her biryani. "I don't like him" I looked around in alarm hoping no one had her comments. Izzy bit down a laugh and cautioned her to lower her voice. "I'm sorry, I just don't like that man. There something very artificial about him" she said in a near whisper. I bit down a laugh.

"Look around us, we're all the same," I said, taking a drink from my glass of water.

"Yes, but we know how to mix the truth with it. We're... seventy percent plastic and thirty percent real" Rania answered. "That guy is one hundred percent snake"

"What a winning combination" I replied hiding my smile behind my glass. It seemed to me that I would not be alone in this fight. Izhaan and Hania laughed and for once, I felt everything might be okay. There was hope that things might turn out to be alright.

"Begum Sahiba", A low urgent voice jolted me from my musings. Was I daydreaming? Why was Major Zaroon staring at me from a few feet away?

"I thought we had closed the place down for a private lunch?" I asked the server. He nodded and hurried to get away, embarrassed and scared. "What is it? Are we putting cameras in the food now?"

"Eli..."Izzy admonished at my rudeness.

Zaroon's mouth thinned to a line as his eyes stared at me with sympathy.

"Your mother has been attacked",

********************************************************************************