Home is where the heart is

The luncheon started off quite well. I wore a red silk saree with my hair hanging in soft waves. I adjusted the saree and ran my fingers through my hair to add some volume.
"How are you, Elena?" Izzy muttered, his voice low in my ear. I looked at him with a smile and fixed his bow tie.
"So very happy for you," I said putting my head on his shoulder.
"What happened yesterday?"
"It's all under control," I said as he placed my hand on his arm. He looked down at me, his eyes filled with worry.
"You seem to have it under control" we walked down the garden towards Rania. Rania was talking to a distant cousin, while Hussein hovered at the side.

"So we're trying to figure out how to impose the tax laws," she said, her hands moving excitedly.
"That's fascinating," Rania said, her eyes depicting her lack of interest. I, on the other hand, was very interested.
"Elena! It's so nice to meet you." She said moving forward and giving me a perfunctory hug.
"Elena, this is Maryam. She was telling me how she implemented her tax ideas in the central province"
"It seems to be boring... but I'm really passionate about it," Maryam said talking over Rania's introduction.
"No no, I found your talk about taxation very fascinating. It's nice to see people who understand the subject being passionate about it"
She smiled brightly. "Thank you, I love those bangles... they're so pretty, where are they from?"

I looked down at my arms. I had not taken them off since they had been gifted to me. Also, they had matched my outfit.
"Yes, where'd you get them, Elena?" Rabia asked, her brows rising in curiosity.

"There's my beautiful wife," Izhaan said as Hania entered the garden. She was flanked by her parents. Izzy went to receive her. Maryam followed him to greet her as well.

"Well?"

I looked at Rania. "Well, what?"

"Where are those bangles from? I handpicked your outfits and went through everything that you owned. I never saw these" I swallowed. It was Rania, she would understand. Besides, there was nothing to hide.

"I went to the city and got them"

"You went to the city to get bangles?"

"I went... to talk to people" she looked at me like I had grown two heads. "I wanted to see...how people live"

"They're not ants Elena, they live like us" I sighed.

"I meant... I wanted to know what their issues were"

"Why? Aren't you leaving tomorrow?"

"Just because I'm leaving does not mean I do not care. Why does everyone keep fixating on that"

"Because that's what you did. Tell me this, if Feroze came back here, wouldn't you run away? Or if Ammi Jaan abdicated, would you take her place? Tell me Elena" I stared at her. She was right. My first instinct was to run. "You won't even stay long enough to celebrate your birthday with Izzy. You came back after five years. You can stay for a week. You're doing all of this...and I'm sure you care, but you're doing this to not feel guilty. You'll write a report and run away leaving this to Ammi or Uncle EJ"

She smiled and waved to someone who called out her name. "You need to finish what you start Elena. It's time to stick it out" and with that, she walked towards the person who had called her name, a picture of grace. I wish I had the strength that she possessed. All I wanted was to leave.

Uncle EJ found me sitting in the garden, later that night, as I sulked. Rania's words swirling in my mind. I was being a coward, I knew that.