Circling back to new beginnings

In between Rania's wedding preparations and Feroze's increasing reliance on my opinion, I felt I had zero time to breathe.

"Begum Sahiba, Jamshed is asking for a meeting today" my new assistant, Yahya, muttered from his corner.

"Schedule him at 4 and don't schedule in any meetings for the next week"

"Not even with the Prime Minister Ma'am?" he answered. I turned around to glare at him. "Understood" if he wasn't Rania's pick I would have fired him. The past 4 months had been a struggle. It was taking me a lot longer to get used to the new team.

I missed talking to my sister and getting her opinion on things. She had reassured me that she missed me too. I, however, had a hard time believing that. Rania had taken all hands off the deck and was now working on establishing a new social company with Hussein. On the flip side, Hussein had managed to make sure that he kept me in the loop. There were times that he would show up just to have tea with me. I knew why he was doing that and I appreciated the effort.

I was happy for my sister. I just wished I didn't have a black cloud following me around throughout this process. Weddings were tiresome as is.

"They're here Ma'am" Yahya exclaimed. Excited, I ran towards my window to watch the car drive-in. "No one is to disturb me"

"But the meeting at 4..."

"I'll be there, take the day off" I yelled as I ran down the hallway and towards the stairs.

Nearly leaping off the stairs I reached the main entrance just as they entered the hall. Without waiting for hello, I bounded into his arms, giving him a tight hug.

Izzy swung me around, his arms securely looped around my waist.

"I missed you so much" I whispered, trying not to let the tears fall from my eyes.

"Not much fun when you're on the other side, is it?" I slapped his arm lightly. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." he said with a laugh. I slid back onto the ground, only to see Hussein standing there with his phone in his hand.

Hania moved forward to give me a hug. I gave her a light squeeze.
"You look gorgeous. London clearly agrees with you" I said, holding her at an arm's length. She let out a light laugh, her eyes twinkling with mischief.
"Where's Ammi... salaam Ammi Jaan" Izzy said walking towards her. She smiled and gave him a brief hug.
"Elena, you woke up the whole castle"
"Where's Rania?" Hania asked.
"Right here. Sorry, not all of us can run like that" she said coming down the stairs. Hussein and I shared an amused glance.
"Uncle EJ's supposed to arrive today"
"Is everything done?"
"Yeah, just a week left, I'm so excited"
"And you Elena? How have you been?"
"Busy. Extremely busy"

The cross-talk and catching up continued to the newly refurbished living room. I hadn't changed the furniture. It had too much history. I watched as we gathered around the same old couches and coffee tables, teasing and laughing. A year later, the two new additions to the family fit in perfectly. I sighed, feeling my heart fill up with joy. It was nice to have everyone back.

Uncle EJ knocked at my door and I smiled, nodding to let him in. He looked around the room and sat beside me on the couch.

"How are you feeling Eli? How's everything?"
"I'm holding up"
"I can see that" I stayed silent. "Honey, I'm concerned"
"Ha, so am I."
"What do you mean?"
"I'm concerned that I'm not concerned" he looked at me, confused. "I know what you're trying to say. Believe me, I get it. I've seen it in Ammi Jaan's eyes, I see it on Rania's face every day. I just can't seem to care."I said with a short laugh.
"Why do you think that is?"
"They think I'm miserable because of him. I'm not miserable because of him, I'm miserable for him"
"I get it," He said, his arm coming around my shoulders.
"I knew you would. You raised her son... you might be the only one who truly knows about love" his eyes widened with surprise. "I know" I whispered. "You're the only one who'd understand..."