The Otherworld Series: Silent Spirit

Start from the beginning

            "Hey, Lis." She looked up. He never called her by her old nickname. He always referred to her as "his charge" or "Ms. Vern," but never by Lis or Alissa.

            She looked at him, "Yeah?"

            He sighed, looking all around them. The spot he picked for today's practice was perfect. The hidden field. It was exactly how it sounded, only better. All around them were swirls of grass so green it burned when you looked at it too long. The sky was amazingly bright blue, and free of any pesky birds or depressing rain clouds. The field was dotted with colorful rays as the morning sun glistened off the multi-colored flower petals.

Alissa could tell that he was trying to be comforting to her, but it was all new to him. As a Spirit Guide, it was his job to be tough with the spirits. Not that he was mean - or evil for that matter - because Spirit Guides are pure light angels. The Spirit Destroyers were the dark ones. They hunted the souls that they wanted and, before the Spirit Guides could get to the new soul, the Spirit Destroyers would already have feasted on it.

Confusing? Yes, but with a great guide like Ash, she understood most of it. Like, the Spirit Destroyers haven't come after her because of the bizarre amulet hanging around her neck. It probably held some power that shielded her from all contact with the Otherworld.

            At least, that was Ashland's theory. But, if that were true, then how could he contact her, and bring her to another dimension, for that matter? It didn't make sense, at least not to Lis.

            "Alissa, I'm sorry, for everything." Ash almost sounded defeated. She jerked her glance from their outward surroundings back to him.

            "What do you mean?"

            "I know I haven't been the nicest to you. I think it's because, well, you remind me so much of myself at your age. Learning to protect your kind, I didn't want to, and the way I acted, my father was the same way with me." He took a breath, "It's just, I have faith in you. Whatever power your necklace possesses, apparently keeps the Otherworld out, and therefore, you are powerful. If you just took the amulet off for a moment, well, we may make some progress."

            She jumped to her feet, "No fucking way."

            He looked at her with hazel eyes so big they made her knees wobble. But, she kept her face the same, showing nothing. Finally, his face changed from sadness, to anger. "How dare you disobey me Alissa? After everything I have done for you."

            "The only thing you have done for me is yell at me! Okay, I know I seem stupid, but this amulet is part of me. Without it, I think I might be lost."

            He narrowed his perfectly round eyes at her. But soon his expression changed. Into that of...fear? Astonishment? Alissa couldn't tell.

            "Alissa, we have to move now!" He sounded bothered.

            "What? Why?" She was confused.

            He grabbed her by the wrist, "They found us. The Spirit Destroyers."

            Alissa uttered literally maybe one hundred curse words before reality set in. They were here...for her. Ashland was pulling her along now, as her legs wouldn't move, no matter how much she wanted them too. "C'mon Alissa!" At that instance, he sounded almost like a regular teenager.

            It was too late. The Spirit Destroyer landed in front of Ashland.

            Alissa had to admit, she was gorgeous. Hair like silk, and as black as midnight, hung loosely around her shoulders and reached her waist. Sapphire blue eyes flecked with gray that looked at them coldly. And a petite frame, that didn't look threatening, but you could see her wings. Black wings, death wings. Those terrified even the lightest of Spirit Guides. Even Ash was shaking.