The Otherworld Series: Silent Spirit

Chappie one! Over there is a picture of Alissa(: Enjoy! XxX

Prologue

                        Being dead sucked majorly. For one, it hurt, a lot. Secondly, it was stupid how people thought of dead people as mindless zombies. What a stupid thought. Me, Alissa Vern, a zombie? I really don't think so.

            I was just dead, no ifs, ands, or buts, about it. I wasn't transparent, nor was I mindless, or did I have fangs. But, if it weren't for something powerful that hung carelessly around my neck I wouldn't appear normal.

            My amulet. The one my mother gave to me when I was little. I wondered if there was ever something special about it. Besides it being a regular hunk of stone. It glimmered purple in the light, and whenever I touched it. It was almost a part of me.

            I didn't know how this stone that was so much a part of me could ever protect me, but as my Spirit Guide pointed out, I must not be normal. Otherwise, I wouldn't still be on Earth.

            You see, when humans die, they must move on or vanish forever. Some choose to lose their souls to stay with their loved ones. Those who move on are otherwise safe. Ugh, this is too much for a teenager to handle right? Try being a teenage "ghost" with some dorky power keeping her grounded on this dorky planet. Sound tough? You have no idea.

            Well, that's it for now diary.

XoXo,

Alissa

Chapter One

            "Try again."

            Shit, this had to be at least the fifth time Alissa had tried to do this. But, Ashland wasn't giving up. His focus was set on this, and he expected hers to be too. But, how could her focus settle on crossing over when she couldn't even try? Damn, he was stupid, she thought.

            Automatically, his eyes snapped open. "And, I suppose you have a better idea? Or shall we just let your soul burn here on Earth? And, you call me the stupid one."

            "Look, Ash." His eyes narrowed at her nickname, but she didn't let it bother her. She went on, "You don't understand. I can't move on. This stupid amulet won't let me."

            "Wah, wah, wah! It's always excuses with you. A stupid hunk of stone can't keep you from moving on. No matter if it glows like it is now."

            She clutched her amulet to her chest protectively, feeling the familiar warmth that told her it was the beauteous shade of iridescent purple. It felt safe, like it was a part of her. A part she never wanted to let go. The last trace of her mother she had left.

            Alissa glared at Ash, "Whatever. You're just really ignorant."

            At this, he laughed. Not a hearty, kind laugh that guardians are supposed to have, but a cruel, mocking laugh. "You think I am ignorant?" He moved closer to her. His feet never touched the ground. "I have seen more of this world than you can imagine. I have spent years with Earth-bound's just waiting for their souls to die out on this planet. That is ignorant, which I am not."

            "So you're telling me that I can't move on out of my own free will?"

            "Possibly so. Or some event has kept you here for quite some time and you don't want to let your past life go."

            Alissa was exasperated. She sat on the grass and put her head in her hands. No matter what she said, she couldn't convince him that this amulet was the reason. She felt the invisible ghost of a tear run down her cheek. Immediately, Ash was at her side.