The Otherworld Series: Silent Spirit (19)

Chapter Nineteen

“Ouch!” Alissa called out, cutting her index finger on the razor edge of the sword she was wielding. She shook it clumsily, the friction causing her to slice her hand again, almost near cutting off her finger. “Freaking mother of spirit!” She exclaimed. It hadn’t hurt too much, but looking down into her finger, seeing her bloodied bone, yeah, she was freaked.

James clucked his tongue disapprovingly, “Are you kidding, Alissa?”

She turned her rage on him. Where was his sensitivity? “Am I kidding? No, you stupid boy! I almost sliced my finger off!”

“Calm down,” He urged, putting his shiny black sword at his feet, all the way across the room, and going to aide her side. “I was only joking.”

“That’s not funny,” She pouted.

He stifled a laugh, “I’m sorry. Here, let me look at it?” She reluctantly held out her hand for him to examine. One look at it, he knew it was serious. “Oh, dear. That’s not very, urm, small, is it?”

“Uh, thanks for noticing?” She shied away from his touch. Ever since the kiss they shared – not to mention feelings as well – it had been awkward. Well, for Alissa anyway. What did that make them, leave them? Did he want to pursue his feelings, or leave them well enough alone? The questions buzzed in her head, making her blush and hide behind her soft hair. What if he could read her mind at that moment? That wouldn’t have been swell. She took another step back, tripping over something.

“Oof!” She howled as she flew back. She waited for the harsh impact, assuming she tripped over her sword, but it never came. Instead, when she opened her eyes moments later, she was staring into James’ eyes. He was smirking joyously, and she resisted the urge to push out of his hold.

Just touching him sent shocks down her spine.

“Um,” She struggled to place her feet on the ground firmly, “Thanks.”

He helped, putting her away from the obscured sword. “You need to stop being so careless.”

“Wow, I never would’ve guessed.” Alissa crossed her arms stubbornly.

“Alissa,” James sighed, “This isn’t going to get anywhere if you don’t let me examine your wound.”

“No.”

“Pardon? What?”

“I said no.” She was being stubborn, that she knew, but so what? He was being stubborn also, with the feelings thing. It confused her, angered her, and made her want to slap him silly. She knew she was being difficult, immature, but she didn’t want to get her hopes high if there was nothing between them.

That kiss could’ve meant numerous things anyway. So why was she reading into it as if it were some sort of puzzle? Because she publically wished it would mean so much more than battle mates.

“Alissa, are you even listening?”

She realized she hadn’t been, but why did he need to know that? “Yeah…”

He looked at her like he saw right through that. “Alright. Relay my monologue to me.”

“Huh?” She raised an eyebrow.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” He murmured. “You’re the next up and coming Element User, and you don’t know what I just said?”

She suddenly felt defensive, “Well, excuse me. I am still a teenage girl. It’s not my fault I never paid attention in English.”