~50~

"I always held back, because it would kill my brothers if you died. They'd be lost, without a cause. But the full moon is a powerful source of primal magic for the sea, what with the effect on the tide and stuff like that, so it's only natural that on a full moon, our instincts are irresistible, especially if we have been holding our instincts back for the past month or so. The sad thing is, I've become quite fond of you, but with meaningless feelings beside, I have a sole purpose given to me by the ocean, and it's not like I can deny them on a night like this. No hard feelings." Mako expounded and placed a finger on his lips. "Shame you didn't give in to us a while ago, I could've taught you how to be a good kisser."

Naida tried to shout at him, mostly in confusion about what he was trying to get across, but she only coughed more every time her breathing increased. All of a sudden, a harsh current swept her up and parted the kelp as it pulled her through it, away from the abruptly startled Mako. The current brought her out of the kelp and shot her to the star-lit surface. She inhaled the salty air like it was her last breaths and grasped her throat. She didn't have to try hard to stay on the surface, as the current was staying beneath her, maying the water almost solid.

A head of silvery hair popped up next to her, making Naida flinch away, but then she realized it was just Lanai. "Are you okay?" Lanai asked and placed a hand on Naida's shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah. Kind of confused, and possibly betrayed, but I'm fine now." Naida answered and calmed her breathing down.

A few feet away, Mako's head appeared above water, glairing at Lanai as if she was his mortal enemy. "Get away from her, she's mine!" Mako growled.

"Oh, I don't think so. I'm saving her from your treacherous backstabbing." Lanai sneered back.

"Bold words, coming from a siren!" Mako jeered and Lanai gave Naida a simpering smile. Naida swam a couple of strokes away from her, her mouth agape.

"Guess the fish is out of the net." Lanai turned back to face Mako. "You say that like you're not one yourself. What, you really think making your eyes appear black is going to fool anyone? Your tail is there, plain for all to see." She retorted, venom dripping from her words, which had lost their melodic ring.

"You're one to talk. The only reason she let you get near her was because she didn't know what a siren looks like."

"Say's the guy who relied on her lack of knowledge to stick around."

Naida realized she had continued to back up while they continued to argue when she was at least twenty feet away from both Mako and Lanai, two people she thought she could trust, who had just been revealed to be sirens, and on a full moon of all nights. Of course this happened when Naida was completely isolated from the people who actually wanted to protect her. Unless they had been lying to her as well.

Who could she trust? What should she do?

THE END OF PART 1