~45~

"They went on a siren patrol, to make sure it was safe for when you came back," Ray replied and beckoned shark over. Naida opened her arms, urging him to hug her, cause she knew he wanted to, but before he could, arms were warped around her shoulders and they sporadically pulled her to the surface.

She spluttered at the sudden change from breathing water to air again and swung her head around to see who was responsible. Bowen was there next to her, treading water and observing her with worry. "Are you alright?" Bowen asked and took her hand, helping her swim back to the docks. "You suddenly fell into the water and didn't come up for a bit."

"Yeah, I noticed, sorry." Naida chuckled and propped her arms upon the dock, but didn't climb onto them as Bowen did. Shark, Ray, and Lionfish popped their heads above the water to check on Naida. Naida lept onto the closest one, Shark, and tried to shove him underwater, only for her to remember that Bowen couldn't see them. Naida chuckled awkwardly and resumed her position of hanging on the dock.

"What was that?" Bowen laughed. "You alright?"

"Mermen." Naida shrugged, knowing that if she was going to use a silly excuse, mine as well use the truth that nobody believed.

Except for Miricle. Miracle believed in mermaids, and magic, and all the fictitious things that people grew out of by her age. Could she have a merman of her own waiting for her somewhere in the ocean?

"Naida, what did you mean you have to go? Why so suddenly? And where? You still haven't given us a reason for your disappearance." Bowen listed off. He extended his hand to help her up, but she didn't take it.

"Who's this guy?" Shark and Lionfish asked at the same time.

"Bowen," she faltered. "I hate that I have to leave, but I don't have a choice. I swear I'll visit again soon. I'm so, so, so sorry." Naida choked out and slipped further into the water until only her hands were clinging to the dock. Bowen got down on the ground, placed his hands on hers, and looked her face to face.

"Please, Naida, don't do this to me. I was wrong to get rid of you the first time by breaking up with you, and when you disappeared, it only made me feel worse. What will I do without you? Without your talent, your kindness, your joy... without knowing that you're safe and that I'll see you every day. Please, don't leave me again, we can fix things. We can start over. I'll do better this time." Tears started to fall from Bowen's eyes and he held Naida's hands tighter.

Naida began to cry as well. It felt as if by leaving Bowen, she was leaving behind half her heart.