Chapter 67

Zali yawned from her couch as she rubbed her eyes. She was exhausted, and she wished that sleep would take her, but for some reason she found herself unable to.

It might have something to do with the fox currently sitting on the armchair across from her with a book in her lap. Her fingers gently slid over the pages as she read, her eyes closed like she was focused on the book.

"Were you that bored you wanted to come here and listen to me try to sleep?" Zali questioned, leaning her head back and staring up at the ceiling.

"I wouldn't say that I was bored. More like I thought your company could be entertaining." Kai answered, her tail draped over the arm of her chair. "I can leave if I'm disturbing you."

"You don't ever disturb me. If anything your presence is comforting."

"I rid you of negative emotions you mean." Kai raised an eyebrow without opening her eyes.

"Well, yes... but that's not why I keep you around."

"I can't imagine it's for my charming personality."

"No, it's just for your tiny, but very attractive body."

Kai's eyes opened curiously. "I'm tiny?"

Zali looked over at her as she sat up with worry now on her face. "I didn't think that would bother you. I'm sorry."

Kai waved her off allowing her to relax. "People don't usually call me tiny. I know I'm shorter than most people, but even still. The only one who really called me tiny was Ragnarok."

"Do you miss him?" Zali questioned.

"I can't exactly miss someone I didn't know." She shrugged. "Chysolite helped make sure he couldn't talk to me. Even though I know that version of him was never real, he was still terrifyingly powerful."

"Just because he wasn't Dragoon, doesn't mean he wasn't real." Zali corrected. "He could still rip apart the fabric of reality at will."

"I think that I have him to thank for my survival in Juno's volcano. I believe I should have died in that lava, but somehow I survived." Kai explained. "He said he didn't need to do anything, but I think that's just what he wanted me to think."

"You think he changed you? Why not ask Dragoon?"

"I don't think it truly matters. Even if I did get a boost from Ragnarok, nothing really changes. I'll still be the exact same person I always have been. If only... maybe not as hot."

Zali blinked curiously at the Kitsune who seemed to think her joke was only slightly funny before closing her eyes once more and going back to reading. The young mage returned her head to the couch and resumed staring at the ceiling, keeping their conversation in mind. She wondered how Kai could be different if she didn't have her flame. She would always be Akeno's daughter, but she wouldn't have been able to fend off Vax the way she did. She wouldn't have been able to protect her friends the way she did, or stand up for other people without someone else standing with her.

Some part of Zali knew that even without her flame, Kai had plenty of tricks up her sleeve. She was still getting used to her flame, still forgetting that it sometimes reacts without her say so. Zali has seen Kai light more things on fire by accident than she has on purpose.

Zali's eyes felt heavy once again, and she closed her eyes for a few short seconds before she paused. She opened her eyes to look at Kai who was still reading her book to herself and minding her own business. She sat up, glancing around the room curiously.

"Is something wrong Zali?" Kai asked without moving.

"I have a funny feeling." Zali confessed. "It's familiar but it's like... a hollow hole inside my stomach."