Chapter 39

Zali watched her sister play soccer with the other athletes in the field. Vanessa was quick on her feet, even with her seals on, and easily out paced most of the other students. She scored several goals with a bright grin before making her way over to Zali with a Soccer ball balanced on her head and a towel around her neck.

She was breathing heavily from her exercise, but was smiling happy like she wished she could play for a few more hours. "Did you see that?" Vanessa grinned, hopping up to toss the ball up, only for her to catch it with her foot and continue to bounce it while she spoke. "I was running circles around the lot of them!"

"You've played Soccer all your life. I'm really not that surprised that even sealed you're still a lot better." Zali shrugged. "The mercury's not hurting you now that you're human again right?"

"I'm not human." Vanessa laughed. "This seal is different from my other one. That one suppresses vampiric nature. This one weakens demonic spirits so I'm only as strong or quick as a human. But I'm not actually human."

"Clearly it's defective if you can still move the way you did." Zali rolled her eyes.

"Oh ha ha." Vanessa scoffed. "You're just jealous because you can't move the way I do."

"Of course."

Vanessa kicked up the ball and caught it before taking her seat beside her sister. "So how are you and Mitchel doing?"

"You make it sound like we're dating." Zali glared at her sibling.

"Well, you're obviously not. But he was certainly trying."

"Don't be stupid. I told him several times that Isirona would kill him if he tried." Zali scoffed.

"Yeah but that's not going to stop him from-." Vanessa paused and watched a girl walk past her with a burning cigarette between her fingers. The girl looked happy enough, talking to her friend about some class stuff.

"Vanessa?" Zali called.

"Smells like Vanilla." The vampire noted.

"It's probably an Herbal blend." Zali shrugged.

"What? No. Not the cigarette." Vanessa rolled her eyes. "I mean, I guess it could be the cigarette. But I think it was her."

"Why do you care?"

"It caught me off guard."

"What? Like a distraction?" The mage raised an eyebrow. "I think you're freaking out a bit too much."

"I am not." Vanessa snapped. "It was a very potent smell."

"I didn't smell anything."

"You have a human nose." Vanessa flicked her sibling on the nose before standing up and picking up her bag that she had left with Zali before going to practice. "I'm heading home." She answered.

"Have fun." The young mage watched her sibling head the opposite direction from the girl and back towards the dormitories.

"Did you sense anything strange about the girl?" Zali whispered, tapping on her earring. Dale wasn't actually with her, but the Nymph had given her a flower in the form of a small earring. One that connected Dale to the mage if she ever needed anything. But it also allowed her to sense Zali's surroundings, just in case.

"I did not." Dale answered. "But vanilla is apparently a sweet spot for vampires. Perhaps the scent simply overwhelmed her?"

"Vampires like vanilla?"

"Indeed. I'm not entirely sure why that is. It's one of the few things that doesn't lose it's flavor when you're turned into a vampire. If anything it's amplified, along with it's scent."