Chapter Sixty-Seven: Welcome to the Family

Mulai dari awal

"We'll be waiting outside for you," Beth says as her and Maggie rush out of the door.

'Bax, will you pinch me?" I look at him, amazed. I haven't seen him in a suit since our grandma's funeral.

"He really loves you, Bea," Bax smiles at me. "I gotta say, I'm impressed. I didn't think he had it in him. He even asked for mine and Rick's blessing before he proposed. Lucas too."

"You're shitting me," my mouth drops open. I truly feel like I'm dreaming.

"He's a good man," he replies before music fills my ears. Of course, it's Here Comes the Bride. "That's our cue."

That's when I realize that Baxly is the one walking me down the aisle. He's going to be giving me away. I want to cry, again, but Maggie would probably kill me if I messed up the makeup, so I try my best to pull it together.

Baxly holds out his arm before opening the door. We step out, and when my eyes focus away from the sun, I can't hold my tears in any longer. My whole family is standing in the courtyard, just looking at me, smiles plastered across all of their faces. I nearly drop the bouquet from the pure shock of it all, and at the end is Daryl, in a beautiful tuxedo. I don't know where the hell he got all of this, but I know it wasn't easy. And holy shit, he got Merle to be his best man, and he got him in a tux. Rick is the other groomsman, also in a tux, but everyone else is in their normal clothes.

Baxly walks down the "aisle" with me on his arm, stopping when we get in front of Daryl and Hershel. Daryl's eyes are red, and I can see the tears that threaten to spill out. He's crying on our wedding day. Mine don't even try to hide as Hershel does the part of the ceremony with Baxly giving me away before going to stand with everyone else. Daryl grabs both of my hands in his, running his finger over the ring already on my finger. Hershel gives his opening speech about marriage, which also makes me want to cry.

"Oh, my god, stop!" I exclaim as I see Carl walking down towards us, holding a small pillow. "This is too much for the apocalypse."

"Just enjoy it," Beth says from beside me. "Don't worry too much about it."

"Oh no," I frantically look from Hershel to Daryl as Carl walks up. "I didn't have time to write vows. I don't have anything."

"It's okay, honey," Hershel smiles at me, holding up a small book in front of my face. "I do."

My panic subsides, and I take a deep breath. Once Carl gets to us, I reach down and pick up the ring that's on my side, Daryl's ring. It's very plain, but I wouldn't expect anything else from him. He's simple, and I love it, because it balances me out perfect, me being very not simple and all.

"Beatrix," Hershel turns to me, a soft smile on his face. "Do you take Daryl to be your husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness, and in health, to love and to cherish, from this day forward, until death do you part?"

"I do," my face beams.

"Daryl," Hershel turns to him. "Do you take Beatrix to be your wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness, and in health, to love and to cherish, from this day forward, until death do you part?"

"I do"

"Now you both repeat after me," Hershel says, and my hands are shaking, of course. It's time for rings.

With this ring, I thee wed, and with it, bestow upon thee the treasures of my mind, my heart, and my hands.

I take Daryl's hand first, slipping the ring on his fourth finger. He takes my hand in return, taking off the ring he just gave me, to place the wedding band first before slipping it back on. I can't believe this is actually happening.