Chapter Ninety: Ron

•ninety•

Beatrix

I stand almost in shock as the tower hits the ground, the wood splintering into what seems like a million pieces. Dust gets kicked up from the impact, and once it settles, the walkers walking into the compound become very clear.

"Everybody, get back! Get into your houses. Go, now!" Rick yells, shooting a couple of walkers in the head.

I run back into the infirmary to grab my IV pole before heading back out. People start to scatter, and I notice Maggie struggling with getting up onto the perch. Her ladder falls, leaving her legs dangling for the walkers to grab.

"Use my shoulders, Maggie!" I exclaim once I finally get to her, positioning myself underneath her. I grab onto her foot so she knows where I'm at, and she uses her feet to push off of me and up onto the ledge.

"Thank you," she mutters as she collapses onto the perch.

I don't say anything else before taking off, trying my best to make sure everyone made it into a house before the walkers came. I seem to be the only living person in sight, so I make my way back towards our houses.

"Bea, over here!" Carl calls from the porch of Jessie's house. I run as fast as I can to him, almost knocking him down as we fall into the house. Rick slams the door behind us, and I'm more than thankful that they're safe.

"You okay?" Rick asks, holding onto my shoulders as he looks me over.

"I'm fine, Rick," I roll my eyes. He should know better by now. They don't see me. "Are you all okay?"

I look at the people around me, quickly searching for a bite or anything, before Rick speaks up.

"Deanna's hurt. She's upstairs," he says, and that's all he needs to say before I take off, running up the stairs and stopping once I see her laying on the bed with Michonne doing her best to tend to her wounds.

"I just finished with her leg," Michonne says, holding pressure on some kind of wound on her abdomen.

Michonne pulls back the gauze so that I can see what I'm working with, and I accidentally gasp out loud. That's the number one thing you are never, ever supposed to do in front of a patient, and I just did it. Deanna looks down to see what I gasped at and her face falls.

"Well, shit," she lays her head back on the pillow after seeing the bite.

"I'm so sorry," I apologize, still trying to catch my breath. "I'll run back to the infirmary, try to get some supplies and medicine. We can try to stop this."

"No, I won't have you or anybody else risking your life for me or using up any supplies," Deanna shakes her head no, and I realize she doesn't know.

"I won't be risking my life," I explain, lifting my shirt up slightly so that she can see my scar. "They don't see me. I can try and help."

"I have so many questions," Deanna's mouth gapes open in shock, which is pretty much what I'd assume to happen with anyone finding out.

"I don't have many answers. The last time I tried to save someone after they were bitten it didn't work, so I need to act fast," I look at Rick to see him shaking his head.

"It didn't work the last two times you tried," he corrects me, and I know he's right.

"Then you won't waste supplies trying on me," Deanna's decision seems final. I open my mouth to try and convince her to let me, but she shakes her head. "Don't even try it, Beatrix. It's not worth it. You save those who can be saved."