Chapter Eighty-Seven: Rugged

•eighty-seven•

Beatrix

I have been avoiding Pete, and pretty much everyone else, ever since the night I yelled at him. Honestly, I didn't want to face whatever he or anyone else had to say to me, but I know I'm going to have to do it sooner or later. Now, though, I'm headed over to the infirmary with Spencer to check on Tara.

"Some of her color's coming back," I mutter, taking Tara's vitals. "Vitals look good too. I really hope she wakes up."

"I'm sure she will. If what you tell me is true, you're good at your job. You know what you're doing," Spencer tries to reassure me from one of the chairs across the room. It doesn't really make me feel better about the situation, but it's nice to hear.

"Thanks," I give him a half smile, really not having much more to offer. "Really, that's nice to hear. Sometimes I get self conscious and think I'm doing everything wrong."

"Why would you think that?" He stands up, walking over beside of me.

"I dunno," I shrug, finishing with checking on Tara for now. "I just worry if I do the right thing you know? Like it's been a long time since I really practiced medicine. What if I forgot or remembered something wrong?"

"Listen, Beatrix, you do the best you can, and that's more than enough," he says, looking right into my eyes.

He's very close to me, and before I can stop him, he cups his hand around my face and kisses me. I pull away almost immediately, taking a step back away from him. My hand reaches up to touch my lips as his face turns red.

"I'm sorry," Spencer shakes his head. "I totally misread the situation. I thought you were on the same page."

"Spencer, I'm married," I hold up my left hand to show him my rings.

"To who?" He looks confused, as if he never noticed the ring on my finger before.

"Daryl!" I exclaim. I really cannot believe he didn't know that. I mean, I know he's not here right now, but still.

"The one gone with Aaron?" He asks and I nod in response. "Oh, isn't he a little.... rugged for you?"

"No, he's not "rugged" and to be honest that's highly offensive," I say, taken back and actually very offended. "What's that even supposed to mean anyway?"

"It's just that he's so," Spencer pauses for a moment, probably trying to think of the right way to say whatever offensive thing that's going to come out of his mouth next. "I know your choices have been a bit limited for the past couple of years, but you don't have to settle, you know. Good men are still out there."

I stand in shock for a moment, once again, at the fact that he really has the nerve to say something like that to me. If there's one thing the men in this place have, it's the fucking audacity. Before I speak he steps closer to me, rubbing his thumb over my cheek while I try to control my breathing and calm myself down.

"Daryl is a good man," I finally say, still trying to keep calm as I back away from him again. "Listen, Spencer, I've been nice to you. Your brother died. My brother died. It was nice to help each other through that, but this is enough. I don't know what you wanted from me, but you aren't going to get it."

Spencer opens his mouth to say something else, but before the words come out, screaming fills our ears. Screaming is something I'll never get used to. I turn on my heel and run towards the noise. I can feel him running behind me, but I don't pay any attention to him as I come upon the crowd of people.

Rick and Pete are on the ground, and they had obviously been fighting. Rick's face is dripping blood, a sight I have gotten way too familiar with, and he has Pete in a headlock.