Chapter Ninety-Four: Lucille

•ninety-four•

Beatrix

Daryl does not take Denise's death well at all. He blames himself, because she asked him to go to protect her, and she died. It wasn't his fault they found them, though, and it definitely wasn't his fault that that piece of shit Dwight shot her. There's no convincing him of that, though.

He took off on his own, on foot, about an hour ago. I initially thought he just wanted to hunt and clear his head, because that's what he does, but it suddenly occurred to me that I was probably wrong. He probably did what he tried to do with Bob and the Governor. He went after them. I know he can't take them on his own, so I sent Glenn, Michonne, and Rosita after him. I can trust that they'll make him come back.

"Bea, we need you," Carl says, bursting into the living room. "It's Maggie."

Without any hesitation, I jump up and take off in a run following Carl. He leads me to the house Maggie and Glenn live in. When I get there, I see Maggie on the floor, clutching her stomach, with Enid holding her hand.

"What happened?" I ask, dropping down beside of Maggie.

"I don't know. I was just cutting her hair and she started screaming," Enid says, frantic.

"Go get Rick. Tell him we need to get her to the Hilltop, now," I tell the two of them, and they run off, leaving me alone with Maggie. "Maggie, you have to calm down, okay? Hyperventilating will do nothing but make it worse. Tell me what you're feeling."

"It's like the worst period cramp I've ever had, but ten times worse," she breathes out, and I can see she's starting to break into a sweat. This is not good. Not good at all. "Beatrix, tell me my baby's going to be okay."

"It's gonna be fine, Maggie," I promise, holding onto her hand, even though I'm not sure how true that is. "Just calm down. Doctor Carson is an OB. He'll know what to do. I'm gonna get you to him, okay?"

Maggie only nods in response, squeezing my hand even harder. It sounds like she's having contractions, but there's no blood between her legs yet, so I don't think it's a miscarriage. I have no idea what's wrong, and I won't be able to diagnose without an ultrasound or some other kind of imaging that we don't have here.

A few minutes later, Rick and Abraham show up. They help Maggie off the floor and help get her into the RV. I help lay her down on the bed in the back, letting her squeeze my hand as she cries in pain. Lucas shows up beside me, and I leave him with Maggie so that I can go see what's taking so long to get us going.

"Stop arguing over who is coming or not!" I yell at the group of people outside the RV. "I don't give a shit who comes or not. Shut up and let's go!"

They all look like I slapped them in the face, but they don't say anything to me. Instead, they shut up and get on the RV, thankfully. I return to the back to sit with Maggie and Lucas. Lucas, like me, has no idea what's wrong with her. It's almost impossible to diagnose without imaging, especially if you're not an OB.

"Carl, what the hell are you doing?" I look up, finally noticing him standing beside of me.

"I told Daryl I'd look after you," he shrugs. "Besides, if we run into those guys, I want to kill them."

"Let's hope it doesn't come to that," I give his shoulder a squeeze, moving up to the front of the RV with him so that Rick can talk to Maggie in the back.

"We got a problem up here," Abraham calls, turning all of our attention to the road in front of us. There's a group of men surrounding one bleeding man on the ground. "We doing this?"