Chapter Thirty-Nine: Maggie

•thirty-nine•

Beatrix

"You guys okay in there?" Glenn calls, knocking on the door to our room.

"Yeah, we're fine," Daryl calls back, smirking at me as I sigh, moving over to lay on the bed beside of him.

"You sure?" he asks again.

"We're fine, Glenn," I answer. "Go away!"

"All right " Glenn sighs. "If you say so. I was just check in' up on you."

I turn to see Daryl licking his lips. He looks over to me and we both burst out laughing. Propping myself up on my elbows, I lean over to kiss him, and he pulls me back on top of him.

"Daryl," I mumble, forcing myself to pull back from the kiss. "It's almost dark. Do you want me to read to you now?"

"You know I love it when you read to me," he replies, giving me a soft, sincere smile.

"Okay," I nod, jumping down off of the bed so that I can pull my pants off, leaving me in lust my underwear.

"No need for those," he mutters, reaching for me to pull my underwear off too, but I back away.

"No, Daryl," I roll my eyes and grab the book off of the table. I hop back onto the bed and sit up beside of him. He lays his hand on my thigh as I begin reading.

"Things did settle down, after a fashion, as Atticus said they would."

///

"He turned out the light and went into Jem's room. He would be there all night, and he would be there when Jem waked in the morning."

"The end," I add with a smile, closing the book and tossing it back onto the table.

"Holy shit," Daryl mumbles. "That was a good book."

"I know!" I exclaim. "In my opinion, it's the single best piece of literature of all time."

"You're gonna have to find another book to read to me," he says, moving his hand up my side, careful not to hurt me.

"I will next time I'm out," I promise, leaning down to peck his lips. I turn the flashlight off that I was using to read with and sit it down on the floor beside of me. "You need to get some sleep, though, and I do too. After today, nothing is wrong, remember?"

"Got it," he nods, pulling the covers over both of us. It's kind of relaxing that we're both in our underwear, and Daryl is just so warm.

"Good night, Daryl," I smile.

"Night, Trixy," he replies, placing a kiss on top of my head.

///

"Mornin'," Daryl mumbles against the top of my head, waking me up. "You have a lot to do today."

"I know," I groan, trying to snuggle into his chest more. "Can't I just stay here all day?"

"Wish ya could," he replies, grabbing ahold of my hand in his.

"Me too," I sigh and raise up. I wiggle out of Daryl's grasp so that I can go and get some clothes on. "Would you want to lay on the couch in the lobby so that you don't have to sit in here by yourself all day?"

"Okay," he shrugs and I toss him a cleanish shirt to put on.

"I'll have to help you get some pants on. Do you have any shorts?" I ask, rummaging through his bags.

"That's funny," he scoffs. "Just get some jeans."

"All right," I say, pulling a pair out. After helping him get into them, I help him sit down in the computer chair in the room. I obviously can't carry him, so I have to roll him into the lobby.