One Hundred and Three: Impending War

•one hundred and three•

Beatrix

I want to scream, cry, and squeal all at the same time. I have so many emotions right now, and I'm really not sure if I can contain them all. With the ultrasounds gripped tightly in one hand, and Daryl's hand in the other, I leave the medical trailer and head straight for Maggie, Sasha, and Enid.

"Look at our babies!" I squeal, truly unable to contain the excitement as I walk into Maggie's trailer. "Two of them! One of each!"

"Oh my gosh, congratulations!" Maggie exclaims, examining the ultrasound photos with Enid peering over her shoulder. "Are you excited?"

"So excited," I smile, looking back at Daryl, who also has a smile on his face. Daryl smiles were a rarity before, but they're even more rare now, after the Sanctuary. "A little nervous, but mostly excited."

"So I'm really gonna be a big sister, huh?" Enid smiles at us as she looks at the ultrasound photos.

That's the best thing about our group, in my humble opinion. We're all family. We take each other in as our own. Rick took me in as his daughter and Daryl as his brother. Carl and I took each other in as siblings, and Daryl and I have taken Enid in as our daughter. Of course, we aren't actually related so it isn't weird, but I love it. I love having a family like this so much.

"Yes, you are," I keep my smile, my hand lingering on my stomach. "These three babies are going to be so loved. They're gonna have so many aunts and uncles and cousins. We'll, like, never run out of baby sitters."

"Yes, they will," Maggie bites her lip, clearly trying to hold back her tears. Just a few days ago I had told her that she's having a boy.

"Have they started kicking yet?" Enid looks between the two of us.

"I haven't felt it yet," I shake my head, and Maggie does too.

"Listen, where's Sasha and Rosita?" Daryl interrupts us, a grim look on his face.

"I haven't seen them," Maggie frowns, suddenly very worried about her friends. "I didn't even know Rosita was here."

"Me either," I try to pretend that I don't know exactly where they're at.

"They went after Negan," Enid finally speaks up after a moment of silence. "I was going to tell you, but then the Saviors came and I got distracted. I'm so sorry."

"Hey, it ain't your fault," Daryl places his hand on her shoulder, squeezing it lightly to reassure her. "I'm going after them."

"I'll go with you," I offer. "If you're going anywhere near the Sanctuary, I'm not letting you go alone."

"No way in hell you're going," Daryl shakes his head.

"I'll go with him," Jesus volunteers, and I nod.

"Okay, but you be careful, okay? Don't get too close, and don't take any risks. You have to come back to me," I wrap my arms around Daryl's neck, hugging him tightly. "I can't lose you."

"I'll come back," he promises, kissing the top of my head. "I ain't gonna leave them without a father."

My heart melts at his words and tears form in my eyes. I love that he already cares about them so much, and I love that he's coming around after the Sanctuary. We are so close to being back to normal.

Maggie and I hold onto each other as we watch Daryl and Jesus leave the gates. Neither of us know exactly what to do, other than hope that they can get Rosita and Sasha and get back home safely.