08: The Consequences of Betrayal

"The car's this way," Nathan announced after the insufferable silence between them but Royce's feet were glued to the ground, fists clenched at his sides and everything was clashing inside his fucked up mind. Nothing made sense. Hearing Nathan says those words pierced his heart. Wasn't that what he hoped for? Why does he still feel awful?

"Ray?"

Royce wanted to scream at him for using the nickname he adored so much. He wanted to scream at him for so many reasons but couldn't find the energy to do so. Suddenly, he was drained and wished for his misery to end.

With a heavy heart, Royce asked. "Why'd you do it, Nate?"

Nathan's stare was blank yet Royce still searched for any sign of guilt or regret in his eyes but there was absolutely nothing.

"I was naive back then," He exclaimed calmly and Royce hated to see the person standing in front of him wasn't affected one bit. Was he the only one hurting all this time? Was he a fool for thinking Nate must have had a good reason for doing what he did?

"That's it?" Royce's gritted his teeth, his eyes watery. "You go around telling everyone my secret and this is your excuse? Do you have any clue how hard it was for me to tell you I was gay? To find all the kids shitting on me and giving me disgusting looks? I trusted you to keep it safe with your life, Nate."

Nathan's head hung low in shame. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry doesn't cut the shit I'm going through 'cause of you now." Royce closed the distance between them, his bloodshot red eyes not hiding the pain nor the tears falling down on his cheeks. "It wasn't your place to tell anyone. Why would you spread something so personal like this to the entire school?"

Nathan stayed quiet and Royce knew he wasn't going to explain any further. Doesn't he deserve a proper answer?

"Okay, I see how it is." Royce wiped his eyes, nodding furiously. "Thank you for ruining my life, Nathan Maverick. Have a great night."

"Ray, don't go!" Nathan called as Royce started walking away but there was a desperate rush in his steps and the need to get away from him was much stronger. He ignored the calls of the guy who once was his good friend. His legs were shaking, hands trembled as he balled them in a tight fist. He had no clue where he was going but when he was sure he's out of Nathan's sight, he slid against the street wall, his breath coming out in pants, hands clutching his chest. Was it pain? Or another anxiety attack?

Fuck. Royce thought, his hands fumbling with his jacket to pull out his pump. His vision was blurry as he took a long drag, tried to focus on his breathing and not the air knocking out of him, suffocating him. He took another desperate drag and black dots formed in front of his vision. Suddenly, Royce was so tired and out of energy, he passed out right there.