07: The Consequences of Regrets

Royce's lips were red and swollen, red hair sticking out in different directions and clothes crinkled from what he was just doing so he was finding it very hard to believe his own eyes. He looked around to make sure he wasn't hallucinating but nothing moved from its place as he held his breath. It dawned on him that — it was in fact, Nathan Maverick standing in front of him. He slurred out. "What are you doing here, crackhead?"

"To get you." Were his simple words as if it was that easy. Nathan looked down on him with no emotion in his eyes. He had always been good at keeping a straight face. Bastard.

"To get me? Do you hear your delusional self? Fuck off," Royce shouted, stumbling on his steps to get away from him. "I don't need your help. I was enjoying it on my own. Very much."

Nathan's hand whipped out to catch his elbow and helped him gain balance again, his eyes narrowing slowly. "You'll regret this night tomorrow."

Royce's blood was boiling with anger, all that rage he stored inside of him was threatening to burst out. He said with menace. "If I regret something, it was ever being your friend!"

Nathan froze but looked away eventually. Royce's chest rose up and down rapidly. They stood in dead silence. Neither of them meeting each other's gaze or speaking up. Royce's head was slowly starting to clear up a bit.

"Just let me take you home," Nathan whispered after some time. "Please."

Something tugged at Royce's heart and he kicked at a stone in frustration, screaming fuck you to no one in particular. He reluctantly turned back to Nathan, not letting his guard down. "How did you know I was here?"

"Your sister." He paused. "She was worried."

"Of course, she told you of all people." Royce pulled at his hair. He couldn't think straight, well he was drunk. Nathan chose to stay quiet, knowing his words might anger the small boy further. Royce spoke again "Just so you know, I hate you."

"Okay."

"Every inch of you."

"Okay." Nathan nodded as if he had already accepted it with open arms and said something Royce never saw coming. "I hate myself too."