Chapter 9- Fourth-Time Impressions

Start from the beginning

"I'd stop right there if I were you. That is, unless you want to hand over your Wishing Stars to me."

Gloria gulped, slowly turning the corner, finding someone in the middle of the chamber, dressed in a dark pink jacket that went down to their knees. She was so focused on the figure, thinking that the voice sounded familiar, that she failed to notice a small stone underfoot. She kicked it, sending it against the wall and ricocheting along the floor.

Immediately, the person whirled around, his violet eyes locking with Gloria's. His mess of hair lit up with all sorts of different colors thanks to the gemstones glittering from the walls and ceiling around.

"You," he growled, narrowing his gaze at her. "You're the Gym Challenger endorsed by the Champion, am I right?" He must have noticed the look of surprise on Gloria's face, as he smirked. "What a joke."

"What?" Gloria stared at him. How could he say such a thing?

"Surely the Champion would never have endorsed someone as embarrassing as yourself," he mused. "Or maybe it's because he endorsed you that you're such a failure."

"Take that back!" Gloria shouted, stepping towards him. Tuff shifted slightly from in her arms, but she hardly noticed.

"Why should I?" He stayed still, his smirk growing. "At least the Chairman knows what people are worth when he endorses them— unlike Leon."

Gloria glared at him even more, just about ready to drop Tuff and swing a punch at his all-too-perfect smirk. However, she faintly heard Valiant's chirps of warning, and glanced instead at a Great Ball in the kid's hand. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes before lifting her head to meet his gaze. They were no more than a foot apart.

"You're a Trainer," she commented quietly.

"Yes, and you're a weak excuse of a Gym Challenger," he replied.

He just wants to annoy me. Ignore him. She blinked and opened her mouth slowly, trying to resist the urge to yell at him. "I challenge you," she finally said quietly.

The kid laughed. "You? Challenge me? You've got some nerve, Weakling."

"I'm serious," Gloria insisted. "If I win, then you can't say that I'm weak, and you can't make fun of Leon."

He turned away. "I refuse."

"What?" Gloria ran back in front of him, staring at him. "You're probably just scared you're going to lo—"

"No, actually," he interrupted. "It's for your own good. Well, really for your Pokémons' good." He glanced down at Tuff, and for a second Gloria thought she could see his face soften. But his proud demeanor returned just as quickly, making Gloria question if it really left in the first place. "I refuse to battle someone who doesn't stand a chance against me. . ." He trailed off, and slowly reached for Tuff without another word.

"What do you think you're doing?" Gloria stepped back, holding Tuff closer to herself.

He simply ignored her and walked back to them, placing his hand on Tuff's head. "Tch," he muttered. "Worthless. . ." Gloria opened her mouth to argue, but the kid stopped her. He took out a yellow bottle from his coat pocket and sprayed a little bit over Tuff's injuries.

Gloria watched in curiosity as Tuff's eyes opened, and she looked around, her gaze locking on the kid.

"Scor," she hissed, now squirming to get out of Gloria's arms.

The boy rolled his eyes and took a step back. "Relax, rabbit. I am the one who just saved your life, so you'd better be grateful."

At that, Tuff froze and looked instead to Gloria.