chapter 3

our stay at the Leaky Cauldron passed faster that a Firebolt. Harry never did talk to me after his conversation with my father. in fact, he turned into the same protective idiot that my brothers had decided to become.

if i so much as laughed too loud, they would come running to see if anything was wrong. it was rather annoying.

it was very crowded on the muggle side of the platform, as it always is, but once we ran through the wall it was a madhouse. wizards and witches of all ages were running around with trolleys and trunks, saying goodbye to their families, and double checking their luggage.

mum and dad stood by me up until the very last minute when i had to board the train. mum had tears in her eyes as she hugged me. "stay safe." she whispered in my ear before kissing me goodbye. "i love you."

i smiled reassuringly. "i'll be fine. i love you too mum." i figured she was just nervous because of what happened last year.

my brother and my best friends had waited for me by the door, and we all stepped onto the train together. as tradition, we stuck our heads out of the nearest window, and waved to my parents.

mum came sprinting down the line with a bundle of fur in her hands. Scabbers. "Ron." i said. "is mum holding the rat that i specifically told you not to forget?" i asked accusingly.

his face matched his hair as he realized his mistake. mum thrust Scabbers up to the train window, and Ron took him from her grasp.

"for goodness sake, don't lose him!" mum shouted as the train pulled out of the station and began it's long tread to Hogwarts.

We split off from the twins, and Hermione led us down the hallway until we finally came to an almost empty compartment. there was a man asleep in the corner.

"come on. everywhere else is full." Hermione said as she opened the door.

Ron stared at the man. "who do you suppose that is?" he asked aloud.

my eyes flicked to his trunk. "R. J. Lupin." i read the name off his belongings.

my twin's eyes went wide. "how is it you know everything? you and Hermione both!" he exclaimed, exasperated.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "it's on his suitcase, Ronald." she pointed to the luggage at the man's feet.

Ron looked embarrassed. "oh."

Harry eyed the man suspiciously as he took a seat next to me and across from Ron and Hermione. "do you suppose he's really asleep?"

"it appears that way." i said as i listened to his faint snores.

Harry nodded and stood up to close the blinds. "good. i need to tell you something."

***

Ron was the first to speak after Harry finished telling us what my father had said to him. "so, the reason Sirius Black broke out of Azkaban is to kill you, and--"

Hermione elbowed him in the ribs and made a gesture towards me. i had had enough.

"okay that's it." i grumbled loudly. my friends turned towards me. "i know you're keeping something from me. spill." i crossed my arms over my chest and looked at the expectantly.

before any of them could respond, the train came to a hault. i looked around, confused. Hermione checked her watch. "we can't be there yet." she looked puzzled.

Ron leaned over to look out the window, and the lights flickered off. his hands were pressed to the glass, and his eyes strained to see outside.

"ouch, Ron, that was my foot." Hermione muttered as he fidgeted.

"there's something out there." Ron spoke softly. the glass his hands were pressed against began to freeze, and he pulled his hands back in shock.

a cold chill settled in the compartment and i shivered. a gasp escaped my lips as the door to our little room slide open, and a creature clothed in black floated in. i felt myself begin to fall, i was tumbling over and over in midair until i relived the end of my nightmare.

shouting, a green flash, and the impact of my petite frame on the pavement.

***

i faintly heard someone calling my name. i decided to go towards the voice. i was lifted up, up, up, and into the train compartment.

i sat up, gasping for breath.

"here." a man's voice said as a piece of chocolate was shoved towards me. "eat this, it helps." i took the sweet treat and allowed myself to be helped off the ground.

i was still dazed and a little shaky, so i almost fell over again when i stood up, but Harry caught me. he sat me down on the bench next to him where he was also munching on a piece of chocolate.

Ron and Hermione looked as if they hadn't moved, but Harry's hair was even messier than it usually is.

"what happened?" i asked after a few agonizing seconds of awkward silence.

Hermione and Ron exchanged a look. "well," Hermione began. "after the train went dark, you two started shaking."

"we thought you were having a fit or something." Ron added.

Harry was staring down at the chocolate in his hands. "what was that thing?"

"it was a dementor." R.J. Lupin said. "the guards of Azkaban prison. they were searching the train for Sirius Black." i noticed my friends stiffen. "if you'll excuse me, i need to have a word with the driver." he flicked his wand and opened up the door, before closing it behind him as he stepped out.

"did either of you two... you know... pass out?" Harry muttered. i could tell he was embarrassed.

Ron shook his head. "no. but i felt weird though. like i'd never be cheerful again."

Harry nodded and looked out the window for a brief moment before turning back. "i heard someone screaming. a woman." he looked at Hermione, and then at me, as if it had been one of us.

"there was lots of shouting, but no one screamed." i said.

Hermione narrowed her eyes like she was confused. "no one was screaming, Harry, and there was no shouting."