chapter 16

"Tom i need to talk to you. i need to tell you something."

"what is it?"

"i know who is behind all the attacks. Tom, it's me. i've been doing it and i don't know how, but i black out and just wake up in front of the petrified kid and the writing in blood and i don't know what to do."

"you silly girl."

i was taken aback. "what do you mean?"

"you really think that you have the power to do this kind of thing? you really think that highly of yourself?"

i didn't know how to respond to that.

"you are not the one attacking people you idiot girl."

i was done at that point. i didn't care what he was about to say but i was done with him. he had been rude to me the last time i talked to him too.

i closed the diary and ran. i ran out of the common room and down the staircases until i reached Murtle's bathroom.

my only friend who i could tell things to was gone now. i couldn't tell anyone anything. i was so angry i screamed and threw the diary across the room. i heard a splash that signaled my aim was true.

with my eyes watering, i ran from the bathroom and straight into Percy. i was not in the mood for him.

he wasn't in the mood for me either.

"what are you doing out of bed?! i'll have to report this you know!" he yelled, clearly oblivious to the fact that i was upset.

"what are you doing out of bed? it's your curfew too." i shot back.

he looked shocked at my outburst. "well--i--i..."

i smirked. "perfect Percy doesn't know what to say. i think the snogging has affected your brain, Perce. might want to give Penelope a little while to catch her breath next time." i stepped on his toes as i sprinted down the hallway and back to Gryffindor tower.

***

that night i couldn't sleep. all i thought about was Tom. he was a memory preserved in that diary and i had just thrown him away. what would happen to him?

i decided to put that out of my mind. he was gone. he was done.

on to another problem: why was i attacking the students?

Tom...

i sat up. Tom. he was getting into my head somehow. he was controlling me. i don't know how i knew it, but i did. Tom was attacking the students through me. but how? but why?

i can't think with all the other girls breathing echoing in my ears. slipping my socks on my feet, i tiptoed out of the bedroom and down the stairs to the common room.

someone was there. i pressed my back against the wall and peaked around the corner. it was just Harry. i couldn't help but blush.

i was wearing a tank top and my pajama shorts, and they were my old ones, so they were a little small for me. he seemed frazzled. it looked like he was studying for something, with his face buried in a book.

thoughts of Tom completely forgotten, i walked over to him.

"whatcha reading?" i asked.

he jumped like i had snuck up on him. "uhh.. nothing." he closed the book and put his arm over it. "what are you doing up?"

i frowned. i wasn't sure why he thought he had to hide from me. "couldn't sleep. i'm not tired."

he raised his eyebrows. "are you sure about that?" he asked. "because, i don't mean to be rude, but you look awful."

my heart skipped a beat.

"you look exhausted, Riley. how much sleep have you been getting?" he looked concerned now.

i thought about it before answering. it was true that i felt completely drained. "eight hours." i estimated.

"a night?"

"in the last three days."

"Riley... that's not good." he stood up and walked over to me.

i sat down on the sofa. "i just can't sleep. i try to sleep, but i just can't." i shrugged my shoulders and yawned.

he sat down next to me and put his arm around my shoulder. "do you have nightmares?"

i felt my face go red. i don't like to talk about that.

**Harry's POV**

"no." she said quickly. she didn't even think about it. that's how i knew she was lying. "i'm going to bed." i knew i'd hit a soft spot.

she shrugged off my arm and slid off the couch. she was upstairs faster than you could say quidditch.

i wanted to chase after her, to ask what i did wrong, but i can't go into the girls dormitory. there are stories about what happens to guys who do.

shaking it off, i walked over to the table i was sitting at before she came down. the diary was still sitting there. i couldn't figure out why someone would throw it in a toilet.

suddenly, i had an idea. i picked up a quill and began to write.