chapter 14

I woke with a start. My hand jumped to cover my mouth before the scream could escape my lips, and I removed it when my breathing slowed. The dream flashed before my eyes as I tried to blink away the tears that were forming.

My mother in tears.

The man with bulging eyes, and matted golden brown hair. His teeth that protruded from his evil smile were yellowing and bucked in front.

The voice. And the flash of green light as my body slammed into the ground.

I was surrounded by a pool of sweat. I had to get out of the dormitory. My feet moved on their own, leading me out of bed and towards that stairs that lead to the common room. While my body was moving, my brain wasn't operating correctly. All I could see was the dream, still playing in flashes in the back of my mind.

My mother in tears.

I arrived at the top of the stairs.

The man with bulging eyes.

I shook my head to try and get rid of the vision.

His yellow bucked teeth smile.

I took the steps two at a time.

The voice.

A sound escaped my lips as the voice echoed through my head.

And the flash of green light.

I ran into something and stopped in my tracks. My tears were blurring my vision, but I could tell it was Harry. My breathing was heavy and the dream was still flashing in front of my eyes, taunting me.

I hunched over and I faintly heard Harry call my name. My hands were on my knees, and I was trying to keep myself from toppling over. I squeezed my eyes shut to try and block out the visions, but they just danced on the back of my eyelids. I couldn't escape.

My knees gave out from under me, and I heard shouting that undoubtedly came from Harry. A pair of arms wrapped around my waist and kept me from hitting the floor, but it was too late.

I couldn't escape the dreams that were engulfing me. Struggling to get out of Harry's grip, I twisted every which way until he released me and I fell to the ground gagging and vomiting. Through my tears, I saw a flash of red hair moving towards me, and that's when I blacked out.

***

I bolted upright when I realized where I was. The hospital wing.

Again.

I groaned in frustration, which caused my head to pound. It was just nearing night, and as far as I could tell, Madam Pomfrey was asleep in her office. Not wanting to wake her, I kept my mouth shut. That woman could get really pissy when she wanted to.

Looking to my left, I noticed someone was asleep in a chair. I couldn't tell who it was, but they were tall, so it could have been Harry or Ron. I assumed the former, since I highly doubted that Ron would give up the chance to sleep.

I sat up in the bed so I could speak better. My throbbing head protested, but I pushed through. "Harry." I whispered, trying to gain his attention without waking Madam Pomfrey. No such luck. That woman had the ears of a Phoenix.

She sat bolt upright and her attention instantly focused on me. Her stout legs carried her over to my bedside, but not before fetching something from her office. I inwardly groaned, just the thought that I would have to take an awful potion made my head hurt worse.

Madam Pomfrey slapped Harry upside the head when she came over. "Get up!" She spat at him. "Go fetch Professor McGonagall." When Harry didn't move right away, she added. "Quickly now! Quickly. I haven't got all day." Harry looked at me for a second before bolting out of the hospital wing to go do what Pomfrey asked.

She looked at me with a bit of softness. "How are you feeling?" She asked me.

I shrugged. "I've been better." My hands gripped the sheets that were tucked around my waist.

"Well," She started. "Minerva will be here any minute, and I know she has some questions for you. No one knows exactly what happened. Do you remember anything?" She asked me.

I opened my mouth to respond when Harry came rushing in with Professor McGonagall behind him. Harry was still in his robes, but the Professor looked as if she had just gotten ready for bed, her emerald robes replaced with a dressing robe.

They slowed their footsteps as they neared my bed, and Harry took his seat in the chair by my bed, reaching out to take my hand. I let him, and he smiled at me.

Professor McGonagall stood at the foot of my bed. "Riley, do you remember what happened?" She had skipped the casualties and gone straight to business.

I went to nod my head, but stopped when a sharp pain radiated through my skull. "Yes." I told her instead.

She nodded for me to continue. I looked at Harry once before resuming. "Well, I was asleep." I gulped. "and I was having a nightmare. When I woke up I--"

"Do you remember what this nightmare consisted of?" Professor McGonagall interrupted me.

I looked down at my sheets and Harry rubbed circles on the back of my hand with his thumb in an effort to comfort me. "Yes." I spoke softly. I didn't have to look at them to know they were urging me to speak.

"Um. Well my mother is holding me. I think I'm still a kid." I took a deep breath before continuing, making sure to keep my eyes on my hand as it fidgeted with the sheets. "Someone comes in the house and takes me away from her. There is a lot of shouting and... and um... there is this voice." My heart was pounding and my eyes were beginning to sting.

"I never know what it says." I took my hand back from Harry and hugged myself. I don't know why, but telling someone these things was nerve racking. I'd kept it to myself for so long. "But it's always there and there the man who was holding me. He said something about the Dark Lord and um..."

I looked up to Professor McGonagall and she was looking at me intently. Before I could speak again, she interrupted me. "Have you had this dream before?" she asked.

After looking down again, I nodded slowly so I wouldn't hurt my head.

Professor McGonagall breathed a sigh that let me know she was beginning to worry. "Have you ever had a reaction like this?" She asked me.

"No." I said.

The Professor sighed again. "Alright, I think that's enough for now. Professor Snape has brewed a dreamless potion for you. Madam Pomfrey has suggested taking it every night before bed. You will come up here before you go to the common room after dinner, alright?"

I nodded again.

Professor McGonagall's footsteps echoed on her way out of the hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey handed me a glass before returning to her office. I looked over at Harry.

His face had worry stitched all over it. "What happened, Riley?"

I looked over at his green eyes and instantly melted. I couldn't keep this from him. "I woke up, and it was like I couldn't control myself. I just had to get out of the room. It was like I couldn't breathe." I took a deep breath. "All the while I was walking, it was still flashing behind my eyes. I couldn't get away. And the voice..." I trailed off.

Harry put his hand on my arm. "It's ok. You don't have to continue."

I smiled at him, gratefully. "Did I really miss a whole day?" I asked him.

Harry nodded and then his eyes went wide. "That reminds me. I have something to tell you, Ron, and Hermione."

I know this chapter is horrible, but I just wanted to post something.

I'm so sorry I haven't updated in forever. High school is kicking my but and I have almost no freetime. I know I haven't updated in a month and there is no excuse for that so I'm sorry. This is basically a filler chapter because this book is almost over! can you believe it? Neither can I.

I love all of you and thank u for sticking by me:)

vote, comment, follow.<3