chapter 16

**Riley's POV**

"so she was dead?"

"technically, yes. if Ron hadn't gotten her here when he did..."

"but she's not dead anymore, right?"

"right now she's stable."
"thank Merlin. i don't think mum could take losing her again."

"i really don't want to relive that. thank you, Percy."

"i'm just stating the obvious."

"you're being prick." two voices chorused.

the sight was familiar. it was like deja vu, the pounding in my head, my brothers arguing at the foot of my hospital bed. except this time, there was a lot more pain. i couldn't open my eyes because it was too bright and it felt like there were a dozen bricks laying on my chest.

"where's Ron?" i could tell it was Bill who asked.

"he still had to go to class. honestly, i don't know how you ever made it to where you are." Percy, obviously.

"then why aren't you and these twits in class? if anything, Ron should be here and not you."

"well-i-i don't know where he is okay!?" each step he took on his way out of the room felt like someone was banging a rock into the back of my skull.

i tried to open my eyes again, but it was still too bright.

"can someone turn down the lights?" my voice cracked at the end.

"George, go fetch mum and dad. Fred turn the lights down." Bill sent the twins off, and i opened my eyes in the newly darkened room.

Charlie came over and hugged me tightly. i let out a small shriek of pain. he jumped back instantly and apologized multiple times.

"its okay. I'm fine." i reassured him. "can you help me sit up?"

i placed my hand on my ribs and i flinched as Bill lifted me up so Charlie could arrange the pillows. Bill leaned me back down slowly, and i winced again as a sharp pain coursed through my stomach.

mum and dad came running in with George just as i got settled.

"oh! my poor baby!" i could see the tears in my mum's eyes. "are you alright? should i get Madam Pompfrey?"

she started walking towards Madam Pompfrey's office, and before i could stop her, Bill interrupted. "yes mum. she needs a pain potion. a strong one."

her eyes went wide and she walked much faster. i turned to Bill. "i don't need a pain potion. it doesn't hurt that bad." i told him.

he smiled sadly. "sometimes it's okay to ask for help you know."

before i could reply, there were pounding footsteps in the hallway outside. Ron rushed in followed closely by Harry and Hermione.

"can someone please explain to me why i had to hear that my sister was alive, from Malfoy? i can tell you that that was not a pleasant sentence coming from his mouth." Ron glared at the twins. "you knew?! you knew she was still alive and you didn't tell me!?" he pointed an accusing finger at them as tears ran down his face. Harry and Hermione looked as bad as he did.

all three of them looked terrible. their hair was a mess, all three of their faces were red and blotchy, like they had been crying. their school ties were only half tied and their robes were wrinkled.

"what do you mean they knew she was still alive? didn't you know?" Bill asked, stepping in front of Fred and George.

"no." Harry growled. "we were told she was dead." his eyes were and puffy.

i was confused. "who told you that?" i asked.

they all turned to me and their faces lit up. "bloody hell, Riley." Ron rushed to me and hugged me tightly. i sucked in a breath to keep from crying out in pain, and hugged him back.

"they told me- they told me you were dead." he sobbed into my shoulder. he pulled back and looked at my face. "but you're okay now."

i nodded, and he sighed with relief hugging me again.

"Ron." i whispered in his ear. "that hurts."

he pulled back and said, "i know. i just don't want to lose you again."

"are you going to kiss now?" Fred said behind him.

"oh you would do the same thing if it were your precious Georgie." Ron snapped, whipping around. "how would you feel if you heard he was dead?"

Fred just laughed. "i think i'd be pretty excited. i'd get own room!"

George tackled him to the ground and a laughing Charlie pulled them apart.

mum came back with Madam Pompfrey, who shoved a potion down my throat and then escorted my family out, leaving me with Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Dumbledore came in a minute later.

"i know you're all wondering why you were told that Miss Weasley was dead." he said to them. "but i can assure you that we had a reason."

"oh yeah. and what was that exactly?" Ron asked angrily.

Dumbledore just smiled. "think of it this way, would you have felt better if i told you she was going to survive, and then she didn't?"

they all shook their heads.

"we were not sure if Miss Weasley would live, in fact the odds were about one in a million. we were about to send her to Mungo's, but Madam Pompfrey insisted that she would be more comfortable here." he said simply.

"but she is going to live now, right?" Hermione asked, hiccuping from crying.

Dumbledore laughed softly. "yes. she will be alright. and i have talked to Madam Pompfrey, you three may escort her to the end of the year feast tonight. we will be announcing the house cup." he winked at us before leaving the hospital wing.

i turned to my three best friends. "now tell me everything."