Chapter 8 "Daddy, I need stitches"

My hands automatically went in front of me and took most of the fall on my palms. My knees came down and hit rock. I cried out and curled instinctively into a ball. My hands went to my knees and came away with blood. Talon whimpered and came over to where I had drawn my knees to my chest. I watched as he settled in front of me on his belly and started that strange purring again. Talon lowered his head and a wet, rough tongue rasped over my knee. I sighed with relief when the stinging pain lessened. I slowly stretched my legs out and stopped halfway when the stinging pain came back. Talon licked my knee a few more times so I could stretch out more and managed to get my legs all the way out. Now that I looked like a ply-board on its side, I started trying to figure out how I was supposed to get home.

              “Would you help me?” I asked Talon and he started the strange purring again. I took that as a yes. I shoved myself over so I landed on my back. I sat up and looked around for two branches close together so I could pull myself up. I spotted them a couple feet away from where I was sitting.

              “Talon, could you drag me over to those two branches?” I asked him, pointing. He gave a little whimper and licked my face.  Talon got behind me and took a mouthful of my shirt. He dragged me along, with me helping him the best I could. He set me down in front of the branches and I gave him a scratch and a kiss on the nose. I grabbed onto the branches and pulled myself slowly to my feet. I hissed at the pain and clenched my jaw.

              Talon whined and leaned against my legs. I scratched his ears before taking a step, the pain was minimum. I walked with Talon, My legs straight so my knees didn’t bend and send pain slamming into my brain. I successfully made it to my house without any major problems but I got there. I climbed onto the porch and noticed that Talon had stopped at the first step. He whined at me, turned, and ran back into the woods.

              “Wait!” I called but he kept going. My shoulders slumped and I picked up my book from where he had dropped it. I walked inside my house and into the living room where my dad was sitting with his feet up, reading the paper.

              “Daddy?”

              “Yes?”

              “Can you get out the needle and thread?”

              “Why?” He asked, putting down his paper, concerned.

              “I may have busted my knees open.”

              “Come here peanut. Let me see your knees." He motioned me closer and I walked over to his chair.

              “Wow, you really did a number on yourself, didn’t you?” He asked as he examined my knees.

              “You need to have stiches but I’m going to put one in to help it heal, then put antibiotic cream and band-aids.”

              “SUSAN!” yelled Daddy.

              “Yeah?” came the answer.

              “Bring down the needle, thread, cream, and band-aids, would you?”

              “Okay, just hold your horses.” Daddy turned toward me.

              “What did you do?” He asked and I ducked my head down.

              “I was playing with a dog I found.” I admitted and Daddy got his own conclusions as to what happened and he sighed. Maman came down the stairs carrying the first aid kit and the needles. The whole process took fifteen minutes, five for each stich and another five to put on the antibiotic cream. I jumped up and ended up falling down on the couch.

              “I think I’ll stay here.” I told my parents after trying several times to get up. My mom and Dad both grinned. My dad wandered off and Maman went into the kitchen to make supper. I sat in the living room, just kibitzing. Dusk came trotting around the corner of the hallway and when she saw me she started running, when she was close enough to jump at me she leaped. . .and landed on my freshly bandaged knees.

              “AGGHHH!!” I grabbed my cat off my knees and hugged her to my chest.

              “Ok, no more jumping at me, alright?” I asked her and Duske started purring. I pulled my knees up onto the couch and leaned back. About half an hour passed after my dad fixed my knees, before my mom brought out supper. It was my favorite, chicken stir-fry.

              “Here’s your supper.” Maman set down the bowl and I attacked it. I picked up a small piece of chicken and dangled it in front of Duske.

              “Speak.” I commanded and Duske just lifted herself to get the chicken, I held it higher.

              “Speak. Mrrow” This time I got her to speak and I dropped the chicken. I snatched my hand away before she bit me. While Duske was eating her chicken, I was eating mine. I finished the bowl and slowly got up. I walked into the kitchen and put my bowl in the sink. I went upstairs, calling Duske as I went up. I went to my dad’s study and Said goodnight. Daddy looked up from his book.

              “Night peanut.” I went to my room and pulled out my phone. I started texting Tablita.

              ^_^*Proud*Highland*Lass*^_^ (Me): My first day of hell was strange.

              *Jerrixabelle* (Tablita): What happened?

              ^_^*Proud*Highland*Lass*^_^: I met a girl on the bus who’s like you. I had a panic attack. I met an absolutely gorgeous guy. He’s the one that gave me my bear. When I shook his hand I got tingles. I told the gym teacher not to let me play but he didn’t listen. I ended up popping five balls, a broken hand, a kid sent to the nurse for a concussion, and a kid who had to be untangled from a jump-rope. I was perfectly fine. Oh, well. He’ll learn.

              *Jerrixabelle*: HAHAHAHAHAHA. He’ll learn. And what did this “Hot guy” look like, what was his name?

              ^_^*Proud*Highland*Lass*^_^: He was five-seven, very muscular, almost like a jock, long black hair down to his waist, with blue streaks like that of a raven’s wing and almost pure black eyes. His name was Waneta. I don’t know his last name.

              *Jerrixabelle*: Oooooooooooo. He sounds like a hotttie. I’d grab him if I didn’t have Tyler.

              ^_^*Proud*Highland*Lass*^_^: Girl, you’re in Alemont. Not in Oak Haven. Anyway, you wouldn’t give up Tyler for the world.

              *Jerrixabelle*: True, on both accounts.

              ^_^*Proud*Highland*Lass*^_^: I’ve gotta go to bed, talk to you tomorrow, Kay?

              *Jerrixabelle*: Kay, Night.

              ^_^*Proud*Highland*Lass*^_^:  :D

After I sent the happy face I turned my phone off and settled in my bed. I closed my eyes and drifted into sleep.

                                            ***Waneta’s P.O.V. ***

              I ran, I shouldn’t have run. I should’ve stayed with her. I said this over and over to myself as I walked into the Pack house. I climbed the stairs and went into my room. I flopped onto my bed and stared at the ceiling. I hope she’s okay, I thought as I turned onto my side. Please be okay, I pleaded as I went to sleep.