34

Calum

I enjoyed having an extra day off work, however if it meant Alexis could be well, I'd work double the hours.

Luke ordered her a hearing test as she'd perked up a little bit, so we carried that out. Alexis was pretty upset about not being very good at the test, but she couldn't help it and we made sure she knew that it was okay.

She radiated so much "Rose" energy sometimes.

They decided she would need a hearing aid, and would try and do a mould while we were still here, but it made Alexis so upset that she started to cry.

She was putting her body under a lot of stress.

"Hey, babygirl" I hushed, hugging her, "it's all okay. It's just a small thing that goes over and into your ear everyday so that you can hear! You can choose a pretty pink colour,"

"Will it hurt?"

"It won't hurt, it will make it better,"

"No princesses and pirates have them,"

"Well then that makes you the first, and that means it's cool," I said, kissing her head, "you can still dance, still do gymnastics, still act. I just might get you to take it off while you do gymnastics,"

"I can hear but not as well,"

"Yeah, I know munchkin,"

"When's grandma coming?"

"Tonight, and she's going to lay in a bed just next to yours so that I can go home to sleep, and be at work tomorrow,"

"Visit me,"

"I'll make sure to deliver breakfast," I laughed, "I love you,"

"I'm sorry for being in hospital,"

"Why's that?"

"Because this is where mummy was when you last saw her, and now I'm here and it is scary for you,"

"I know you're okay though, I know that now,"

"Can I sleep?"

"No, stay awake until grandma comes,"

I told her a story about pirates while we waited, and then mum walked into the room, pulling us into a hug.

"Two of my favourite people,"

"Grandma,"

"Hello sweetheart,"

"Dad, I love you,"

I kissed her cheek and climbed off the bed, slipping my shoes on.

"I'll see you tomorrow okay? You'll be okay,"

"We can call and say goodnight," mum said, making me nod. I grabbed my bag and waved, finally leaving the dark room. Michael had dropped my mum off, which meant he could take me home, so I got in his car.

"Michael, can we um, can I go to Rose, please?"

"Yeah," he smiled sadly, "how's Alexis?"

"She's a bit upset about getting a hearing aid, but she'll be okay,"

"Bless her. I'm just really glad we caught it,"

He parked outside and stayed in the car, letting me go on my own. I walked to her grave and knelt down, rain starting to trickle down.

"Hi, I-I haven't been here for a while because I thought I could be okay. I thought I had the hang of this whole parent thing, but I don't. I wasn't meant to be a parent alone, I was meant to be a parent with you and I'm reminded every day of that. Alexis would've loved you,"

It started to rain harder and I shivered, sighing heavily.

"It's hard to be in that hospital room. You were my inspiration for everything, Rose, and I don't know what to do. I'm so scared. I'm so scared for Alexis to grow up because what if she won't talk to me? When she says I don't understand, she'll be right. I don't know how to look after her. I can't even pick the right club, and I haven't even taught her to make friends or read, and now she needs a hearing aid and I feel like I've ruined her life. I feel like I've ruined our child's life and I'm sorry. I want you here to help me so badly and- and- I love you. I don't know what to say. I love you,"

"Cal," Michael said, throwing a coat over me, and standing me up, "you're soaking,"

"I don't care,"

"You don't need to get sick as well. Let's get back to the car,"

I nodded and followed him, sitting back in the passengers seat.

"Have a warm bath, and a good rest. We'll have a gaming night,"

"Thankyou,"

He held my hand and squeezed it, taking us back home. I did as he said and ran a bath, and laid in there for a while, letting my body relax. I knew she was safe with mum.

Eventually, I got out and dried my hair, then got clean pyjamas on and curled up in my own bed- it was the best feeling in the world.

Michael woke me up to eat and we sat on the sofa, watching some TV. Then, we got a beer and played video games for hours. It was weird to be able to act my age a little. I was still in my 20s.

It felt like I'd been here for an eternity.

As if he was my mum, Michael sent me to bed at 9, but I wasn't complaining. I needed the rest, and I fell asleep as soon as I hit the sheets.

In the morning, I woke up and got dressed, leaving Michael a thankyou note. I clumsily made breakfast and drove to work so that I could see Alexis.

I took breakfast to the kids with as much energy as I could muster, and eventually got to Alexis' room.

"Goodmorning," I smiled.

"Dad!"

"Hello," I chuckled, "how are you?"

"A bit better,"

"Well that's amazing,"

"They're taking a mould for her hearing air later," mum said, "she's being really brave about it,"

"You'll be just fine. Did you sleep well?"

"Yes. I love you dad,"

I kissed her head and she tucked into breakfast with a little more passion that the day before.

The day dragged after that.

I managed to visit after the mould, but she was sleeping, so I briefly spoke with mum and the doctor. I was surprised to hear that Luke's mum had offered to stay, but I wasn't complaining because everyone else needed to be at home. Mum was doing too much, and we all had work.

As my shift ended, Liz came, and her and mum had a good chat until Ashton clocked out and took my mum home. I just cuddled with Alexis, who slowly blinked and said the odd thing or two.

"Dad, the ear doctor is very nice. Did you know?"

"All the doctors are nice! Did it feel funny?"

"Yes. He said I could get a hearing aid in pink, and it would be here on Friday,"

"We will come then, and get you all sorted,"

"Grandma said it makes me stand out in a cool way,"

"It does! Definitely,"

"Good. Sadie and Ethan will like it then,"

"Just don't let anyone touch it,"

She nodded and smiled, which was a big improvement.

Liz, Alexis and I all ate the food together and played with a doll Liz had brought for her. She was so kind to Alexis, and I still had confidence about her staying the night in hospital.

Hopefully it would be her last.