Progress Through The Pain

Tuesday,

11th May

10:15 P..M.

After an entire week of tension and chaos things appear to have calmed down in the East. The Field Marshal has chosen to send a disciplined envoy of a few high ranking soldiers over there to keep an eye on the situation. Many parts of the state are still under a violent anti-Bengali drill. On a further low, news from over there tells us we are quickly losing support from the few supporters we had in the East—but really, what would anyone expect after such brutal killings? Not just the Bengalis, all of the civilians are being threatened by one group or another. Local no-good mobsters are playing on the widespread sentiment of fear and mistrust and indulging in robberies and violence and further propelling the situation downhill. The Bengali supporters have been keeping a suspiciously low profile and another large section has fled to India.

The situation is equally tense here in the West as a result. We have sent part of our troops to East, and security has been tightened around the capital for the fear of attacks by the Mukti Fauj, so the security around the cantonment has been slightly compromised. None of us have been home for more than four hours for the past week, nor have we had much sleep. In fact, Abba is still in a meeting with Lt. General Beig.

Munira bhabhi has been looking after Sehmat for the past few days since I cannot, and perhaps she is having some effect on her too—some colour has returned to her face and she has begun to engage herself in some amount of work, both around the house, and regarding her father's business, which is now up to her to run. She's resumed stepping out of the house now—she likes visiting the Mosque nearby and getting flowers for the house. She is now thinking of moving the business here, so that she can oversee it easily.

I haven't yet gotten around to giving her Ammi's anklets, or talking to her properly about the subject, or doing half the things that I should've done—I haven't gotten the time. We've had a long and particularly simple-and-unemotional conversation for the first time in days since Khan Sahab's death, and I did feel that she was doing all she could to avoid having to talk about her father, even if I didn't mention it. I'm not sure how avoiding it would help her, or if it would help at all. At some point all of the emotional baggage will begin to weigh her down and that is not a good mental space in which to be. But whatever comes, we will deal.

Iqbal. S