The Proposal

Monday,

11th january

11:45 P.M.

The situation is getting worse in the East. There have been more reports of abandonments and mutinies in the army, and the rogue officers have joined the rebellion, which now calls itself the 'Mukti Fauj'. The most worrying of all news, however, is that India is helping East Pakistan gain independence. They are mostly sure of it. If this is the case, the field marshal won't hesitate in taking up arms against the country, without thinking of the consequences. Now, due to the suspicion of involvement, we are to deploy two more regiments to the border, even though it was established last week that our platoons are strong. It has now become imperative we determine as soon as possible what involvement India has in our internal matters, and what they are planning. One thing is for certain–If India interferes in our internal conflicts, war will be unavoidable.

On another note, I have managed yet again to forget my wallet and my watch today. I had to borrow from bhaijaan. And... Abba called me into his study today, after we were done with dinner. I was completely unprepared for the bomb he dropped on me.

An old friend of his from college, Hidayat Khan Sahab, with whom he still is in contact regularly, has proposed his daughter's hand in marriage. Khan sahab is a good friend of Abba's. He has always spoken highly of him. The family is Indian, and I understand that accepting this proposal would be a huge risk, but Abba is prepared to take it. He has a certain faith in his friend which is unwavering. His voice had been heavy with emotion when he had told me about Hidayat Sahab's illness. It is his wish to see his daughter, Sehmat, happily married before he succumbs to his illness, and Abba is more than happy to turn their friendship into family.

He has handed me a photograph of her, and told me about her. She is 20, four years younger than I am, and is studying literature in Delhi University. Abba is very happy about this proposal, and wants me to accept it. He told me as much, although I'm not entirely sure if it was an advice, or a request, or an order.

It has been a strange day.

Iqbal. S