Settling In

Monday,

8th March

10:50 P.M

Everything has now gotten hectic at work because everyone is now convinced that we need to send more regiments towards East to maintain "Peace", especially now that the number of deaths are rising there, and the bureaucrats are likewise convinced that it would do no good and we need to strengthen regiments at the Indo-Pakistan border instead. I wish sometimes that I could see their reasoning, even a single shred of reason, if only to convince myself that my country's government is not run by complete idiots. Now they are going to run a few badly done checks and recite the reports in the parliament, as if everyone does not already know exactly what is going on, and then tell us that we need to deploy regiments towards East, which is what we were to do in the first place, but now it'll be a lot more delayed thanks to political propaganda that the ministry people are up to.

I don't think I have ever truly been as grateful to have Munira bhabhi as a family member as I am now. I don't know how but she has this inherent ability of being able to recognize a person who is in need of help, and then offering her help like the godsent she is. She manages to drop hints as to how I would best be able to help Sehmat settle in, and what she would be expecting and little things that would make her more comfortable, although she leaves those hints for me to interpret the best of my ability. Another one of her inherent abilities is speaking in riddles—She could have been a poet. But it seems to me that they have both struck up a friendship. It's good that they have each other's company.

It also appears that I will not have to worry about forgetting my wallet or watch or any other item that I only remember about when I most need it—Sehmat lays them out on the ottoman. I do not know what to make of it, really, and I'm afraid my indecision regarding my feelings might have been more apparent than I had thought, if her frown was anything to go by.

Meanwhile, the telephone has begun ringing again and it is again I who is being asked for. My relatives are all very excited about the reception, which is on Sunday, and I am...a little less so. They'll be arriving Saturday night, mostly, and leaving Monday night. Abba has convinced them to stay in the Circuit house so that it isn't a tight fit inside the house. My cousins had more things to say now that I don't think anyone should ever repeat. I wonder sometimes how we're related.

Iqbal S.