Response

Friday,

16th April

11:35 P.M.

Not just Army officials or government employees, the Eastern Populace and the Mukti Fauj have now begun targeting the unarmed civilians also—the ones from the West. The ones who are allied with us are in mortal peril. The Easterns are as ruthless as the regiments deployed there were to them—they had done unspeakable things, things clearly against any and all morals and codes of conduct—they have resorted now to gruesome and painful ways of killing. Car bombings, guerrilla attacks and the sorts. As a result, the regiments there have also started retaliating in kind. It is a vicious cycle. It seems now that the Easterns have taken it into their heads to simply take up a stand to see who is more resilient.

The odds in my struggle against a part of myself that wished to smoke seem to be leaning in my favour. This evening, I saw that my cigarette case, which I had fully intended to remove from its position on the side table, had been replaced by a crystal container of cardamom. I suppose this action somehow both pleased and surprised me. Sehmat and I have been on more friendlier terms, which is to say that it now not as embarrassingly awkward to be in each other's presence anymore, and we are not total strangers, but this might have been the first active response I have ever gotten from her, and it feels quite rewarding. I was also finally able to give her the Hindustani Classical music CD's I procured from the Record Shop and really, I think I now understand why Bhaijaan used to—and still does— go out of his way for Munira bhabhi.

Iqbal S.