Chapter 11

“What… did you… do… AH!” Sweat pours down his face. The drops weave around the blue scales. Alred pulls at the scales on his arms. Each time pain shooting through his body.
“Foolish human. You have to learn to control this power.” He looks up at her, swearing there’s a smile on her face.
“Powers?” He stands up walking towards her. “Please explain what you just did? Half went into the egg but half came into me, what did you do?”
“I have given you the last of my life force.” Alred stops, looking at the dragon, his mouth opens. “Do not fret human. My life was already over. There are two things I have done. First, I split the power I have left. Half to you, half to my child.”
“Why?” She looks down at him, a smile still on her face.
“Hmm, you are more like your grandfather then you know. I hope the world is ready. What if I told you I have known you, your entire life.”
“No, I’m sure I would have remembered meeting a dragon. Not something you forget.” He crosses his arms.
“Do you remember Else?”
“How do you know that name? She came into our lives and left just as quick. She use to tuck me in bed…”
“The rush of the river, as it sweeps down the path to home. Hold tight little ooone. Don’t worry about a thing.  For the great dragon will keep you safe.” As she sings this lullaby, Alred falls to his knees. Tears flooding out of his eyes.
“Else? I’ve missed you much.”
“I know child, I’m sorry I have hidden who I am. With my time done, Alred. I need you to do the biggest favor for me. I need you to raise my child for me. With the help of your grandfather, we were able to break the curse on them. But the only way was to sacrifice myself. My child was cursed to be born a bone dragon. A plague that will walk among us." Alred couldn’t see the tears but the whimper in her voice. His heart calls out to her. Wanting to comfort her. He rushes forward, smashing his body into her leg and holding on tight. She’s arcs her head, pushing her nose against him. He turns latching right on to her.
“We broke it, my childs curse. I laid the egg in the crack of a world tree sapling and then feed my child my life force. It has gone from a death dragon to a life dragon. But Alred.” He hadn’t see, but now he can feel. Her power is fading faster. The shine in her scales has grown dull. Even her presents feels weak.
“The child will not be able to live on its own. It needs to be… NO!” She rips her head away from Alred. Looking at the mouth of her cave. Both of the elves are standing there. Both out of air, huffing, trying to talk.
“There is a group… of people… marching this way. There seems to be a drake out front.” Laena says as she catches her breath.
“The Blue moon tribe are coming as well. Seems Talkow wants both of us dead.” Alred looks at the dragon before him, Else.
“Else,” He places his hand on her leg. “Stay here, I will make sure that no one harms you or your child.” Alred turns running the distance to the world tree sapling. He scurries up the tall sapling until he finds a branch the right size.
“Don’t Alred. World trees are not forgiving to those who take its beaches by force.” Her wheeze voice cries out. Alred didn’t hear her. He grabs the branch, pulling with everything he has. It was not thicker then his wrist. He tug as hard as he can.
“Give me this branch. I HAVE TO SAVE THEM! I WILL NOT LET THEM DIE BECAUSE I AM TOO WEAK!” He pulls one more time. Wings sprout from his back, flapping as hard as they can. The branch cracks loudly. It then snapped. Both of them fall to the ground. Alred turns his body in mid air, the wings on his back, flapping to ease is fall. As he lands he turns around trying to look at the wings on his back. He quickly gives up rushing forward.  He stops in front of Else placing his hand on her, then looking at the two elves. “Stall them. Give me five minutes. Can I borrow your claw? I need to make a new staff.” The two elves rush away, neither talking, Else holds out her claws. Alred jumps right to work.
He runs the branch across the sharp claw. Shards flake and whirl down. His sweat builds on his face. With each pass the branch becoming smoother. He tappers the end a bit, giving the new staff a sword like shape. He swings the staff down wards, driving the end of the staff into the end of the Else nail. He hurries and does it again. Making two holes at the end, he pulls two crystals out. One bright orange and red mix and the other a brown. He sticks them in the holes, turning away from the dragon he walks toward the opening.
“Alred please be safe. You must come back and take my child with you.” Alred stops, wipes his face before he turns around. His face all red.
“What is the name you wish for your child to be called?”
“You… Please name my child in my stead. Dragons are not to be named until they break free from the shells.”
“OK, I will, I will pick the best name I can. Just rest here I will be right back.” He didn’t wait for her to talk this time, he races down the cave. He can hear the screaming of men as they die. He round the next bend. Laena is nocking her next arrow.
“Took you long enough.” She pokes around the bend, letting the arrow go. The thump of a body falling is all they could hear. She turns back to get another, “You took the time to crave a wooden sword?”
He smiles at her, walking forward and around the last bend. The group of Blue moon elves. A much older elf stands in the middle. His staff glowing blue. They each hold out their spears, each of their eyes filled with hate. Ten of their brothers lay on the ground. “Hey elf, go help the other one. I’ll take care of this end and catch up.”
“Whatever human.” The patter of her running echoes.
“Why are you attacking Else?” He looks right at the older elf.
“She failed her people and has helped a human. She is no longer our god. Move out of our way trash.” He stomps his staff down. Ten more warriors rush forward.
“Failed? She gives her life for her child and you dare say she failed?” Alred roars.
“She has a child? Find the egg, we will raise it and guide us into a new age!” Talkow screams.