Chapter 8

Laena leans against the cold rock wall. A fire crackles, the smoke filling the cave. She closes her eyes. Waiting for sleep to take her. The dragon let her stay her for the night. Her eyes clench shut, sweat dripping down her face. Gasping for air.
“Child.” Her eyes snap open. She reaches for her dagger, then stops when she only sees the dragon. “Your past haunts you.”
“Yeah…” She mumbles, rubbing the side of her head.
“Do you not know how to let it be?” She raises her head, moving it closer to Laena. Her breath hotter then the fire as it waifs all over her. “Your people are gone. You may remain here but you must learn to move on. Or you will miss what the world has in store for you. If you continue down this path you will meet your death. Find your wings.”
Wings? The word struck a cord in her heart and memory. She had heard in legends Ice elves use to be called fairies. This was only told in the stories.
Never, tales of lost men. Laena closes her eyes again. Holding on to the darkness. Afraid to see the light for the images. One by one slowly flips through her eyes, their blood dripping from their mouths. Their eyes lost all their life.
With each pasting one. Sharp pain rips through her stomach. Each one colder then the last. Her skin freezing with each pasting arrow that sinks in. Her eyes snap open, she spots the next arrow closing in. She reach out
The air within her grasp. Her hand hovering over. Her fingers wrap around the shaft. Her fingers past right through it. It slams into her, pushing her body back.
Her body crashes into the rough wall. A sudden surge races throughout her body. She launchers off the ground. Her dagger in her hand. She lands with her body hunching in attack mode. Leaning forward, the blade pointing forward.
“Fear. Do not let the fear control you.” The dragons voice fades into the darkness. Each step of hers shaking the ground. Her tail flashes through the light, skimming the ground. Sparks dance around it.
Laena heart skips a beat. The cold air sweeps across her. Her sweat freezing her body. A large lump stuck in her throat. But nothing can stop the tears from filling her face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Agis, why is there a human here? This cave leads to the Great Mother. What if he attacks her? What if he wakes up and attacks us?”
“I…” He pauses, looking at his best friend. He knows he has crossed a point he shouldn’t have. He couldn’t do it though. Walking away from someone dying. He saw the large fire-balls in the air.
He knows the man in front of him is strong. Even if he lose this fight. The opponent has a drake and was able to get the drop on him. Agis can’t get over the fact of how strong this man’s body is. He seen the muscle all over his body.
Although he cut one fire-ball and was able to kind block the attack. He had left a deep indent in the boulder. Yet he’s still breathing. Agis checked all over the man looking for wounds. Only finding one on his side. He already stitched it. The rest of the small cuts would heal themselves.
“I hope that maybe by saving this man’s life he will be able to save our people. Talkow has to much power, we are only two.” Agis looks at Sif. He can see the tears flowing down his face.
“Your father… is gone. Talkow is… going to be the next… chief.” Agis turns, stepping between Sif and the human. Sif hurries to wipe the tears away.
“Why are you crying brother?” Agis feels his hands tighten around his spear.
“The guilt. Have you forgotten that Talkow is my grandfather? I may not agree with everything he has done. But I am going to be second in command now. Not you.” Sif's eyes darken. “I will let this man live in your honor. But you must die in order to ensure my family’s rule.”
His spear arcs down. Agis lifts his spear up blocking the attack. Unwilling to move away from the human. Sif jumps back, thrusting his spear forward. Agis spins his spear letting the blades spark as they collide.
Sif holds his spear at the ready. His chest moving in and out at a fast pace. He’s never been able to beat Agis before, he has to win this time. The blades of their spears locked. Neither of them looking away.
“Sif, my heart.” Agis knocks Sifs spear away. Stepping closer. Sif dances on his feet as his balance fails him. Agis slams his fist into Sifs face. As the trader falls to the ground. Agis jumps on top of him.
Sif pulls a dagger off his belt. He tries to stick it into Agis. His hands aren’t quick enough. Agis grasp his wrist, twisting it push the dagger down. The blade runs across Sifs cheek, crimson blood pooling out. A loud clack as the daggers blade hits a rock. Sif lets go, it slides across the ground.
“This can’t be how itend.s. I’m going to be the next chief. I can’t give up.” Sif roars, pushing with everything he has. Agis feels his hands slip. Sif twist, pushing Agis away. They each tumble away. They bounce to their feet, each looking for their weapons.
Agis forgets his spear charging forward. He slams into Sif. Knocking them both down. They roll across the floor. Each of their hands trying to grip the other. Each failing to do so. Agis locks his hand in Sifs hair, pinning his head to the floor. He pulls his other arm back and stops. He looks down at Sif. Sif’s eyes fill with fear. He holds his arms above his head trying to block the attack.
Agis lets him go. Standing back up and walking over to his spear. He picks it and stands next to the human.
“What in the fifth hell are you doing?” Sif ask as he pulls himself off the ground. Resting on his elbow.
“As soon as the human awakes, I will take him and we will leave. I will no longer remain here.” Sif gasp at his words. He looks across the narrow space at his childhood friend. Even though he had just tried to kill him. “I know my father is out there somewhere and I need to go and find him. I have faith that if I leave our people in your hands, you will do what is best for them. In this moment your sight is clouded.”
A the words left Agis mouth, Sif could feel the warmth of his tears. As he picks up is spear a sharp pain races through Sifs body. He looks down to see a spear sticking through his stomach. The dim fire shows the dark red blood dripping from the spears blade.
They both look behind, with the spear handle in his hands, Talkow. His eyes filled with hatred. Anger burning from out. His chest raising and falling faster.
“Both of you are going to die today.” He growls.
“Grandfather?” Sif weakly ask. Talkow lets the spear go, Sif falls to the ground. Agis runs forward to catch his friend. As Sif falls into Agis arms, Talkow appears in front of him. Kicking Agis across the room. Loud cracks echo from Agis chest.
“Dam you Agis. I knew I should have killed you all those years ago. It would have made my life so much easier. Yet, no matter how hard I tired to keep the two of you apart the closer you got. You even broke the spell I casted on him.” Talkow slowly stalks forward, pulling a dagger off his belt. “It is time I finish all of this. Our people are going to be free. I will not risk that for you.”
Half-way across the room, everything starts to shake. Each shake followed by the crunch of rocks. Talkow peers into the darkness to see large golden eyes staring back at him. He drops the dagger, racing from the cave before the Mother dragon can get to him. The dragon roars causing him to fall on his way out.
“The shame of the mortal kind knows no limits. They even kill their own blood for their dreams.” Her voice causing Agis to freeze.

Thank you so much for taking your time and reading my story. I hope you like. Please let me know what you think about my story!