Chapter 24

Alred storms out of the cave into the tunnel. Laena and Jep were standing across from each other. Their sword and daggers locked in battle.
“We need to leave you two. Get the supplies ready. I’m going to go and talk to Agis and see if we can barrow horses.” They hurry and sheath their weapons. Each running in different areas.
Alred walks down the tunnel until he reaches a water fall. There sitting on the floor a young man with a blue mark on his head.
“Halt.” He scrambles to stand up, holding his spear out.
“I’m looking for Agis.” Alred cross his arms, his staff in his hand.
“Agis was banished. You are not welcome here.” Alred taps his foot. Looking around he can see the shadows on the other side of the water fall.
“Am I able to buy four horse? Some of us need to travel. There will be someone guarding the egg so don’t think about taking it.”
“Polow, go and get the Chief.” The shadow darts away. Minutes pass. The two of them just looking at each other, neither moving. Two figures walk through the water fall. Alred notices Talkow, he sees that Agis walks in behind him.
“I was told you were banished?” He looks at the younger guard.
“He was, but I knew where he was. I will give you four horses. Take him with you and never come back.” Talkow taps his staff on the ground. A few more warriors break through the waterfall.
“We will be gone for a few weeks. I will be back for the egg. Master Lake and his contracts are protecting the egg.” He takes a step forward. The warriors launch forward, thrusting their spears between him and Talkow. “I will flatten your village and your people if you touch the egg.”
Talkow whistles and two more elves walk in, each leading two horses. Their saddle bags packed full and sleeping bag tied on. They each hand them off. Everyone left expect Talkow and two warriors.
“Agis, your father is alive. I… fail as an elf, I’m more suited for the human world. Filled with greed. You are welcome back at a later date, but nothing more than a passing by. Good-bye Agis.” Before Talkow could turn.
“WAIT!” Agis stomps forward. “If he’s alive, where is he?”
“Last I heard, Newhill Bay. That was six months ago. That Havrick bastardbtold me he killed but he sold him as a slave.”
“Thank you.” Agis turns walking into the darkness.
“Thanks!” Alred holds the reins up. He turns to follow Agis.
“Mage.” Talkow calls out.
“Eh!” Alred looks back over his shoulder.
“This power, I can. It sends shivers through my body. Tread quickly there are strong foes out there. Learn.” Alred shrugs his shoulders.
“Thanks, it sounds like life will get interesting for a while!” He then simply walks away.
Talkow though, his body froze in spot. He warned him, right? Told him that people be looking for him now. He says, ‘sounds interesting.’ What happen to him?
Alred walks a little faster trying to catch up with Agis. Neither of them speak. Letting the sound of the horses walk drowned the world away.
As they reach the open area, Laena and Jep have already packed. Jep throws a stick in the air towards Alred. He catches it.
“Umm?” He holds it up, looking at the cloth over it.
“Uncover it. The, umm fake master lake was working on this. I think he was planning on taking it. It fits you better.”
Alred rips the cloth off. Underneath a large piece of Else’s horn. At the top, a bowl shape with six slots and large hole in the middle. The rest of the horn spirals down to a point.
“I wonder…” He takes his wood staff and slides it into the large hole. Runes light up, the hole grows smaller latching itself to the wood.
He pulls out a new crystal. It was easily twice the size of a normal crystal. It was long and thin. It slides into the bowl part of the staff. Only the bud of the crystal left out.
Staffs work the best when the material is closest to the power itself. Both the dragon and the world tree. The world tree is close to earth cause both are about growing.
“This is nice, I wish he would have let me help him create this.” Alred says as he slings it on his back.
“Agis, we happen to be heading to Newhill Bay. Would you like to travel with us?” Agis hands one of the reins to Laena.
“Yes, I think it would be the best. I would like to leave as soon as possible.”
“We’re just about to leave.” Alred speaks up, swinging on the horn of the saddle as he jumps up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Sir, Cranes Castle has been taken over. There seems to be a an army massing half a days ride from here.” Luke Havrick eyes darken, he glares at the soldiers report.
“We had someone betray us.” He taps the floor with his cane. “Dam-it. Prepare the men. If we’re gone fight. No point laying down to die.”
“Yes, Sir.” He hurries out the door.
“Lass, bring my armor. I’m not going to die sitting in this chair.” A young women runs into the room, pushing a cart filled with armor.
In the yard Luke’s men race all over the place. Weapons and armor be repaired and polished. The horses saddled and fitted with pieces of armor.
As the soldiers line up, Luke walks out of his castle. Every soldier slams their fist on their chest plate. Luke reaches the front of his small army, he looks and sees Frank walking up.
“Frank, where in the nine hells have you been? Where are my men you took?” He scowls.
“Dead. Alred Wooden flatten them against a wall.” Frank pulls his sword out of its sheath. “Father, I challenge you to a rite of Lordship. As a Lords son, I hold the right. We will fight to the death." A loud gasp, followed by silence as their men looked at them.
“I always knew you’d try to kill me. At least you didn’t do it like a coward.” Luke pulls his sword out, walking towards Frank.