Chapter 23

“So this is a Lords manor? Seems kind of small.” Young Master looks at James who is walking next to the spider. Queen has been running non-stop for the past couple days. This is going to be the starting point of their journey to create his own kingdom.
“Young Master, look.” He looks down at James to see him pointing to a ridge just north of them. A battalion of soldiers stand in line, marching down the ridge.
“Looks like this civil war is already over if they are being attacked from here.” He taps Queens back and he comes to a stop. “I guess we need to decide what our next move is. We can take out this battalion or we could take that castle over and join Southwick.”
“I think that may be the wise decision. This kingdom is going to be the hardest to take over. We only heard rumors of a civil war and they already shut it down.” James spoke up.
“Hop on, we need to take this castle down.” James hops on to Queen. Queen launches off the ground racing for the small castle in the distance.
As they close in, arrows start to rain from above. Young Master jumps from Queens back, placing his hand on the ground.
“Shield.” Large boulders emerge, they hover above Queen. “Keep going, I’m going to launch boulders at the wall.”
More boulders raise from the earth, slowly shaping into spears. The battalion halts. They have been sent here to take over this manor until the king appoints a new lord.
…What are they watching right now. Two people riding atop of a giant spider. They are now getting ready to launch boulders at the manor.
“SARGENT! FIRE THE FLARE FOR THEM TO SURNDER!” A small man comes running up, holding a tube. Bright light shoots out, high in the air it explodes white smoke fills the air.
James jumps at the explosion. He jumps off Queen and waves at Young Master, then points up to where the soldiers are. The boulders fall to the ground, everything shakes a little. They both hop on the spider and head back to the battalion. As the spider closes in on the battalion the man who called for the flare jumps from his horse.
The spider comes to a stop, James jumps down to meet the man. The average size man holds his ground. His black mustache sticks out on his bronze skin. His armor look pristine, with a little wear. His sword looks like he treats it better then himself.
“Lieutenant Clark of the Southwick Kingdom. Thank you for stopping your attack on Cranes Manor.” He gives a small bow.
“It was our mistake. We had heard there was a civil war brewing here and saw you marching on the manor, we thought we could help out.” James says, returning the bow. “This is my Master, Victor Lutz. I am James.”
“It is great to meet you and thank you for the offer but I don’t have the right to hire mercs. My commanding officer does. He is leading a brigade into Havricks land, due east.” He points way. He turns and walks over to his horse, pulling a piece of paper out. He scribbles a bit, rolls the paper up and places a seal on. The ribbon like seal tighten around the paper. Little holes in the ribbon allow it to lock and to see if it’s been tampered with.
He tosses the scroll to James. “Ask to speak with General Huffman. He will take care of you from there. Gentlemen.” Clark bows, then mounts his horse. His men follow him forward.
James looks to his master. “What would you like to do Master?”
“Lets head east. We need to make some cash. We also need to get ahold of the barkeep. A couple more people would be great.”
“I’ll go into town first to buy supplies and see how I can send a message.” Victor nods his head. James walks towards manor.
James walks up to the castle gate, the guards cross their pole arms. Their faces squat and squintie. He sees the rust on the base of the blades. The shafts have cracks. Their armor held together with different types leather.
Looking at the gray stones held together by who knows what. The trench around the castle is more filled with shit then water. The reeking facile floods his noise. He exhales, he tries to calm his nerves.
“Third rate kingdoms untolerable.” He says through his teeth.
“Gentlemen, I’m here seeking to resupply. I have gold?” He says while holding his hands together hand over fist. His head tilts a little to the side.
“Mathy, go get thy Captain.” The Soldier on the left says, he doesn’t unlock his eyes from James.
“Sorry Sir. The castle is on lock down at thy moment.  Please wait a second. My Captin will we be able to help ya.” He tights his grip on the spear.
“Thank you. My name is James, I am not from AiRisa. Can you please help me, I need to send a letter to the Ogden Kingdom. To a tavern in the Port of Nookie.”
“I got a chap goin about there. Guess it depends on thy amount.” The Soldier shifts his stance.
“One scroll to the Nookies Pearl. I will pay five gold coins.” James holds his hands open. Five gold coins roll in his palm. In his other the scroll.
He hurries and reaches for the scroll. His eyes never leave the gold. “Yes Sir. He’ll be on his way in the morn. Night travel is banned at the moment.” James hands him the gold coins.
“I will know if he doesn’t get it.” James looks him in the eye, letting his blood loosen just a bit. The soldiers eyes widen, they start to shake.
“Jaks, yours and Mathy shift is over. Before you go bring the guest to Captain.” A larger man walks up, slapping Jaks on the shoulder. He jumps from the touch.
“Aye, please follow me.” He turns almost running into the manor.