Chapter 27

“Well, Valmock, you may want to leave or you can fight us.” Valmock turns around to see Jon Lake and his contracts. A whirl of black space floats behind them.
“What is the power coming through that?” Valmock steps back, the black cloud grows smaller until it’s a single pillar. Alreds limbs sticking out.
“Who do you think it is? The man himself. Yes, I will always know where he is.” Jon crosses his arms, a small bottle hanging out of one hand.
Valmock looks at the pillar again, it continues to grow smaller, to a point where it is nothing. He looks back at the black void, licking his lips. He waves one hand and the pillar disappears. Alreds body fall limb on the ground.
“I will be back.” Valmock again vanishes without a trace.
As Valmock flees, two figures step through the void. The first, a Mammoth Owl. It’s dark brown wings and a pale white face. It’s large eyes amber gold color. On the owls back is an older man.
His face clean shaved, honey brown eyes. His hair white like fresh snow, but skin leather smooth.
“Jon, thanks for calling. Where’s Valmock?” Jon grins and takes a sip from his bottle.
“He took off once he was sure you were coming, hic-up.” Jon smiles.
“And you don’t bother to stop him?” The man jumps off the Owl, walking towards Alred.
“I ain’t get between a father and son issue. Besides it’s more fun this way.” He goes to take another sip. “Mel, what he does with his powers isn’t yer fault.”
“Is Alred okay?” Both men look at Abby, who’s hunched over Alred.
“We need a healer, he took too many direct hits. If he didn’t have dragon armor I doubt he would have survived the first attack.”
“She went through with it? Huh. Load him on my Briskwind, I’ll fly him to the capital.” Mel walks over to Alred. He grips him around the waist picking him up and on his shoulder.
“Wait.” Jon rushes forward, placing his hand on the world tree. “Bring him here. Lay him against the tree.
“What? That is just a sapling.” Mel snaps back.
“Just shut up Mel and listen.” Mel tucks his head and walks over.
He lays him against the tree, a golden hue appears around Alred. His body slowly shifts cracking of his bones. The scales retreating away.
“He is one step closer, a amazing gift.” Jon smiles, then takes a drink from his bottle.
“What is going on? Will you explain?” Mel barks.
“He’s gonna be fine, the World Tree has gifted Alred its life magic. Only a master over death and darkness will be able to kill him.”
“Well, I’m afraid of what this outcome will look like. He’s just going to fight crazier.”
“What do you want to do?” Jon looks at Mel.
“This tree needs to be healed.” Mel rubs his hand up the tree near the dark spot. “I’ll heal this then I most go. I will write a letter for him.”
Mel sits on the ground, spreading a bright light across the tree. The three contracts stumble into the room near Alred. Unsure of how long their master will sleep.