Chapter 20

A squad of men run through the large doors  leading into the throne room. King Charles sitting on his throne, jumps at the sudden envision.
“My Lord. Lord Tom Goldridge.” The move two guards block the elder man walking in. Lord Goldridge, who passed on his seat to his son in order to enjoy the fruits of his labor. Each step thumps although he is one of the eldest Lords in Southwick, he still remains the largest man.
“You’re a brave man to walk in here once you sided with the Havricks.” Charles call out before the man gets half way across the room. Tom stops, bowing to his King.
“Here, check this.” He throws a leather pouch to soldier. He catches it, then proceeds to open the bag. As the bag open, the smell of rotten meat explodes into the air. The soldiers clasp his mouth shut, dropping the bag, while running out of the room. With the bag open, a head rolls out. There on the ground Charles looks to see, Vincent Goldridge head.
“Tom, care to explain?” Charles waves his hands open.
“This here is the head of my bastard of a son. He betray the Kingdom and for his treason he was executed by my hand. I offer his head as a plea for peace between the Kingdom and my family.” The large man then kneels on the ground laying his face to the floor.
Charles sits back in his chair looking at him. He has known Tom most of his life. Tom even saved his father in battle a couple times. His family has always been good to the kingdom. They hold the line between Southwick and the Far Kingdom. Most of the farms belongs in their territory.
“This is a great start. But Tom, I need you to prove to me the loyalty your family has for the Kingdom.”
“Yes my Lord, you command and I will see it taken care of.” He doesn’t move.
“A child. Your next son has to come stand guard on the Ivory-wall. I will also be placing two trusted mages in court. If they even think you are betraying the Kingdom.” Charles stands up, walking to Tom. “Your whole family will be executed and your heads placed on pikes. Do you understand?”
“Yes my Lord. Please forgive your servant.”
“You are forgived, for now. Go, get out of my sight.” The large man hurries to stand up, bowing to his King one last time then rushing out the door.
“That was awfully kind of you.” Charles turns around to see Alistar standing there.
“I can’t imagine what its like to cut off your own child’s head.” Charles rubs his neck line. “Pick two mages you trust and send them to the Goldridge manor. Have them get ready for a fight. I feel the Far Kingdom will attack once Havricks attack.”
Charles knows the Far Kingdom has wanted their land for a long time. Their mines seem to never run dry unlike theirs. Thankfully, Ogden Kingdom isn’t able to attack. The Ridgeline mountains and the Grand River take care of that.
“War is coming and as of right now. I’m not sure how my Kingdom will fare.” Charles kicks his throne then plops into it. “Alistar, send her to Ogden, we have to make the deal. This way we can ensure we will beat them for good this time.”
“Yes my Lord.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Bell? Where are you at?” Alistar ask as he poofs into the room. A small woman jumps down form the loft above. She lands with a lite thud, bowing to her master.
“Yes, Master.” She crosses her arm across her chest. He looks at her hair. Yesterday it was blue, today its pink. Cut short, seems she has used some type of glue to hold it in place.
“Child.” He shakes his head. Walking over to his table. He pulls a piece of paper out and starts jotting words down. “You leave tonight for the Ogden Kingdom. Take this letter to King Baylo. Wait there until he responds. Bring the letter to me. We are about to enter war time. The safety of our King is of the most importance.”
He rolls the paper as tight as he can, pours the hot wax then sticks his symbol of a wolf howling in the wax. He turns and places the scroll in her hand. She’s already pulled a cloak over her body. Hiding her small frame.
“Take Ves and a squad with you. I want no trouble with this matter.”
“Yes, Master. I will set off now.” She turns walking out the door. As the old door creaks shut. Alistar turns to the middle of his lab. Sitting  on a pedestal a clear glass ball with black smoke dancing inside of it.
“Maria, what’s the matter you seem pretty still today. Your child,” Alistar shakes his, the black smoke now slams against the glass. “He is well and I am unable to touch him. Your father has done a great job of keeping him out of my hands.”
He rubs his hands around the glass ball. Slowly letting his mana flood in. The black smoke starts to spin forming a ball. The ball grows smaller as he fills more mana inside.
“I fear one day when I feed you, you will be able to break out. Never the matter your body has already been taken. You will simply just be a ghost.” He bends over, moving his eye closer to the ball. The black smoke now no bigger then a pea. He fears the worse now that Helix is after him.
“I should warn you, Helix is looking for him. He even has a letter from your father saying he can train him. I hope he doesn’t end up the same way,” he knocks his knuckle on the ball. “Maria.”
He then storms up the ladder. He has a lot of work to do. Playing with spirit of his former student is a waste of time. It saddens him that she is stuck in there but it was the only way for him to gain the power he has. He crosses the loft, pulling down a candle holder. The wall breaks in half, half of it sliding a way. He walks into the darkness as the wall door slams shut.