Chapter 7

“Master Havrick, what a pleasure to see you today. Is there something I can do for you?” The old elf spoke, he’s hunched over holding on to his staff. At a closer look, a small spear head can be seen at the top. The blade so thin it blends into the background.
“I’m looking for a mage. I’m not sure where he is but I know he is in these woods. If you find him, either hold him or kill him.” Frank face holding the cold stone look.
“Of course, I will send word once the mage is spotted. Would you like me to send some of my men into the woods to help the search?”
“Talkow, always showing good faith. That will not be necessary at the moment. I must leave and meet back up with my men before night falls. How are the preparation for the other matter we disgust?” Frank has been making deals with the Blue moon elves ever since he found them. He never told his family or the kingdom about them. He liked the idea of keeping a small army secretively. Over the years they have helped take care of business which is a bit on the darker side.
He of course has also paid a small price as well. He killed their chief making sure the power went to Talkow instead of the chief’s son. Frank didn’t mind killing the elf. He only need to make sure they did what he needed them to do, and that meant killing anyone who got in his way.
“I have a group of men leaving in a few. The deed will be done tonight.” Talkow smiles. Once this job is done they will be even. Talkow knows Frank thinks he owns them. In a way he does, he has a larger army and a kingdom to back him. All he has to do is request the King to wipe them out.
“Hmm, good. With Luke gone I will be able to sit on the throne. I’ll be on my way. Keep me updated. You will be free once I become King.” Frank smiles, turns around, pushing the wooden door open.
Frank makes his way back to his horse, he sees the people scooping water out of the river. Their clothes barely cover them. He mutters, “Fucking savages.” He mounts his horse, riding back into the woods.
Frank has to ride hard in order to catch up with his men. No one knows he has a deal with the Blue-moon elves and he needs to keep it that way. He breaks on to the main trail pushing his horse into a gallop.
He races down the path, through the bends and over hills. As he tops one his he yanks on the reins. The horse slamming its feet down, trying to stop. There in the middle of the path, a large brown drake with smooth skin.
“What in the hell are you doing Vane?” Frank shouts. The bright blue hair appears from behind the drake. A wood staff in his hand.
“I thought you would like to see this.” Vane holds the staff up, then throws it towards Frank. The twisted roots on the bottom looking more like blade. The top looks as if its been snapped apart.
“Why in the hell are you showing me a tree?” Frank looks at Vane.
“It was a tree at one point. That was before it was Alreds staff.” Frank jumps from his horse, scoops the broken staff up. He looks it up and down. There, near the top of the staff, ‘ALR' were craved into the wood. The rest of it gone with the break.
“Dam.” Frank throws the staff back to Vane. “That is yours. Head back to the manor. We need to get ready to move out.” Vane smiles at his words. This will be a great gift for his master.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Sif?” Agis walks into Sifs hut. The small round hut, a door and a single window. A bed and small table the only thing inside besides a bunch of broken spears. Sif always says he’s going to fix them but never gets a round to it.
There laying in his bed, his sheep blanket pulled over his head. There laying in his bed, his sheep blanket ulled over his head. Agis takes his spear, slamming the blunt end right into Sifs ribs. The poor man jumps out of his bed. He pulls a dagger out from under the blanket.
“Agis, it is the middle of the night. You best have a reason to wake me up.” Sif lowers the dagger. A bit upset that he was woken while the sun was still coming up. He knows it is not an attack, the village would be a roar of life.
“I found someone being attacked. I was able to save him but I believe the people that attacked him are the same ones working with Talkow.” Sif can see the look on Agis face. The stern cold eyes, unfazed by anything.
“What did you do with them?” Agis eyes dropped at the question.  Looking around, Sif can see he really doesn’t want the answer to this question.
“Lets skip that and just follow me. Keep quite and to the shadows.” Agis turns, heading out the door. Sifs looks at his back in disbelief. He grabs his good spear but follows behind.
They loop around the edge of the village, heading towards the back, closing in on the entrance to Mothers cave. Small lamps are being lite here and their, the village slowly coming to life for the day.
As they get closer, the two guards already have their spears crossed. In front of the entrance Talkow is trying to peer around them.
“What is the meaning of this? Who told you not to let me through?” Talkow voice short and snappy.
“Agis…” The guard didn’t get a chance to speak.
“Agis? He is just the captain of the guard. He’s lucky to even be that. I am the leader of this village not him. Now let me pass.” He huffs as he slams his staff into the ground.
“The Mother requested that she not be bothered.” Talkow looks to the side. Agis and Sif both standing there. He glares at Agis.
“Fine. I will seek her guidance later.” He turns, walking away.
Relief fills Agis as he watches him walk away. If Talkow were to find what he had hidden in the cave the whole village would erupt. He doesn’t need to deal with mob right now.
“We will check on the Mother and see how she is doing.” Agis and Sif walk right past the guards. They walk twenty feet, follow the bend into the deeper parts of the cave.
After walking for ten minutes a small fire lights the cave. There laying next to the fire, a human. In his hand a broken piece of wood shaped like a lantern.
“Agis, what have you done?” Sif ask.

Thank you for taking the time and reading this. If you liked please vote for this chapter to help others see it. What is your favorite part or what do you want to see more of? Hit me up and I'd be happy to talk to you about it!