Chapter 16

Else smashes her way through the cave wall. She was aiming for the entrance but weavers since she spit her power between Alred and her child, she hasn’t been the same. Her blue scales continue to grow paler.
“I can not let them in here. Alred?” She stops leaning against the wall. Alred hurries to her side. He looks her in the eyes, the golden eyes are loosing their bright shine. “I can’t do it. I have no more power left. I’m a failure as a mother.” Giant tears stream down her face. Her legs shaking until she falls to the floor. Her long neck giving out, he watches her head fall. He rushes forward to catch it. “Alred? I think I’m cold.”
“Hush, save your strength. I’m right here, close your eyes and rest. Everything will be ok.” He sits down and crosses his legs, laying her head on his lap.
“The rush of the river, as it sweeps down the path home. Hold tight little ooone. Don’t worry about  a thing.  For I will keep you safe.” The tears won’t stop flowing down his face. He slowly runs his hand down her face. Then as the rest of her body goes limp, he wraps his arms around her head. Rocking back an forth.
“We what do we have here?” Alred didn’t turn to see who walked up. He placed his hand on his staff and a block of stone shoots across the cave. A thump and pop followed by the mutters of others.
“You are safe now Else. Fly free.” Alred sets her head down. Then stands up to see who has walked in. He can see a soldier smashed against the wall. Everyone else just standing there waiting. He pulls a dull looking earth crystal out and putts another one in its place. “Havrick and Blue moon elves?”
“Alred I need you to step away from the dragon body and walk over here. I’m going to lock you up until the war is over.” Alreds eyes snapped up. He looked through the squad of soldiers, Frank Havrick is standing front and center.
“Havrick, this ends now!” Earth begins to raise in the middle of the cave. The soldiers all running off to the side.
“He’s not talking to use his magic?” Frank looks at Vane who’s eyes are just as large.
“We don’t have to talk. It just help to do so.” Now spikes form on both sides of the wall. With a snap from Alred the wall splits down the middle, each half races across the cave. They smash into the soldiers. The screams filling the cave. Heinrich was able to get his sword out and block the spikes coming for him. He was able to save his life but he’s stuck.
“Vane, take care of him properly this time.” Frank turns around, with out looking back he starts to run out of the cave. Just as he is about to exit the cave a large spike hits his foot. He loses his footing, falls to the ground, small earth snakes wrap around his body pinning him to the floor. “Vane you bastard. Make him release me, NOW!” Frank fights with his shackles.
“That wasn’t very nice, Alred.” Vane crosses his arms, then slides down Puddles side.
“Don’t talk to me. You…” Alred turns and looks at Vane. Vane can see the boy he once knew is no longer there. His blood shot eyes hidden behind his new blue scales. “I don’t want to fight you. I have already lost one person today. Don’t make me lose you as well.”
“I’m sorry Alred, but I’m unable to do so. My Master gave me to the Havricks, I am nothing but a slave to them.” He pulls his wand out. He points it at Alred. “I’m sorry, old friend.”
Alred didn’t wait for him to attack. He rushes forward as earth completes his sword. The drake launched forward. Its massive jaws crashing towards Alred. He rolls to the side, he slices the side of the drake as he runs pass it. The drake snaps its tail, it catches Alred in the chest. The blue scales on his chest taking all the impact. Alred brushes off the dust walking towards the drake.
Vane shakes his head. He just saw Alred take a direct hit in his chest from his drakes tail. Yet, he brushed it off like dust. Vane knows he now has to work with Puddle in order for them to get out of here alive. He looks at his drake, its red blood now covers half of it body. The cut doesn’t seem to wide but how deep is it?
“Puddle, I need you to make him jump in the air. Once you do, I’ll attack him.” The drake nods its head. It digs its nails into the ground. It twist its body, snapping its tail at Alred. Alred swings his sword upwards, the blade slicing through the tail. The drakes body fills with pain as it roll all over the ground. Blood spraying all over the place.
“This power!” Vane gulps. His knuckles pop as he grips his wand. He slowly steps back. The shift of rocks under his foot, his eyes dart to Alred. They lock.
Vanes can feel his heart beating faster. Then it stops, pain erupts in his heart. Fire slowly eats his heart. His lungs gasping for air. The storm, the pain of a lost. He sees it, the inside of his soul. Vane feels his own soul breaking form the pressure.
“ENOUGH!” A raspy voice shouts. Force pushing everything away from it. Alreds eyes snap forward. In the open light stands a short figure. He can feel the power of mana leaking from this man. Alred throws his staff in the air, a rainfall of rocks and a clatter of wood. Vane gasp for air as he falls to the ground. Puddle continues to roll around on the ground. The black figure walks toward Alred.
“Master Lake?” Alred calls out.