The Next Right Thing - 19

Annabelle's POV

I opened my eyes and immediately closed them again. No, no, no, no, no, this cannot be real. I cannot be back here.

I heard immediate laughter from Ashley and her brother Markus. I tried to squeeze my eyes shut even tighter, willing for this all to be a bad dream.

"Oh stop it pet! You aren't that stupid," said Ashley in a sickly sweet voice. She was talking down to me, she did think I was that stupid.

I found my voice despite my fear. "Where is Jace?"

Ashley looked annoyed. "Hell if I know. They only brought YOU back here after that foolish broadcast." Ashley huffed and stomped her way over to the mirror on the wall. "I cannot believe he chose YOU. He could have had me..."

She looked almost sad, staring at herself longingly in the mirror, but don't blame me if I said I couldn't bring myself to feel bad for her. I kept my eyes on her though, mostly because I did not like the way that Markus was looking at me. I thought it was only Vampires that looked like they wanted to eat me.

Ashley's tune changed pretty quick, "Oh well. I don't want him anymore. His daddy is never going to give him that crown now. So I will have to find another way to get it."

Markus scoffed, "power-hungry bitch..."

Ashley smacked him on the back of the head, "You're one to talk you pitiful pervert. I cannot believe you want to fuck that... thing. That is disgusting Markus. Smack it around if you're bored but go find a respectable lady to play with if you're horny."

Despite her harsh words I couldn't help but feel grateful for Ashley at that moment. The last thing I wanted was for Markus to touch me, and I would do anything to stop him from touching me, even siding with Ashley.

Ashley laughed again, "Actually I don't care, do what you want. Just keep quiet, and be quick about it because I am going to inform the King that she is awake. I don't think he is going to like you touching his prize much."

Markus chuckled and Ashley walked out the door, leaving me with him. I looked up at Markus and saw the hunger in his eyes return. I had a split second to decide what to do. I felt energy run throughout my body and I realized they did not put a collar on me! I could still shift.

Before Markus could launch, I turned into a slippery rattlesnake. Like he will want to touch this.

I hissed at him, my tail rattling. I saw him hesitate before he launched forward and grabbed my tail. I spun around in seconds and bit his arm, my fangs sinking in.

He is a Fallen Angel, so although the venom I produced wouldn't do anything, my bite definitely would hurt.

A girlish shriek left his mouth and he shook his arm until I released him, sliding under the bed, out of reach. Before anything else could happen, there was a knock on the door.

An angry Markus screamed out, "WHAT?" Like a rude teenage boy.

I heard the door open and Markus stuttered, seemingly trying to get out an apology for whoever had entered. "Out".

The Queen was in the room.

Markus ran out of the door.

I slithered out from under the bed, the side of the bed that was closest to the door, since I had no idea how the Queen felt about snakes, and I shifted back into my human form. My white dress fell around my body.

I could now see the Queen staring at me from the other side of the bed. I moved around the bed so I was standing in front of her.

I was not afraid of the Queen. She was not a threat to me, although her husband was, so I probably should have been afraid.