Mirrors - 8.1

Jace's POV

I could tell, although this girl was strong, I was racing against the clock. I still didn't know why I chose to help this girl. Maybe to see if Elizabeth really was on their side, if she could help her, maybe because she looked so weak and defenceless. This young werewolf... well she reminded me of Annabelle. Or maybe simply, it was because I knew that if I didn't take her, she would've died, been disposed of the next morning. Although I have reason to hate werewolves, I couldn't just let her die, I don't really understand why. A month ago, I would've walked away without a second thought.

I sped faster as the first rays of day broke, arriving around the bend from the estate I was meeting Elizabeth. Her father was a well-known, respected man in all communities. He was known for being kind, and even though my father had his quarrels with him, even he seemed to be charmed by the old man. Maybe it was the way we made you feel like you were the most important person in the room. He sure knew how to make you feel as if you mattered.

I pulled up in front of the manor and screeched to a halt. Elizabeth had already arrived at the front of the manor by the time I had made it to the door with the unconscious girl draped across my arms. The concerned look on Elizabeth's face as she ushered me inside the door was evident, as I was paid no attention to and all eyes were on the girl. Elizabeth instructed me to place her on a couch and called a witch into the room who immediately knelt beside the girl. Elizabeth watched unsettled, worried, until the girl's eyes started to flutter opened.

"She'll be okay".

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. "Good." Elizabeth's eyes immediately went to my face, studying me closely. It made me uncomfortable. It was the same way my mother would look at me when I was young, trying to figure out if I was lying or not.

"Let's go to the other room, let Darcy work, we can come check on the girl later."

We walked into the dining room, which was connected to a large kitchen, and sat at a large table. A young witch came out of the kitchen to offer us tea. Elizabeth graciously took some, kissing the boy on the cheek, making him blush. I declined.

"So Jace, you have me intrigued, why did you bring me this girl?"

"She was in the last town I visited. Caused quite a stir with the young vampires, letting out this much blood. A public whipping gone wrong. Though I will be quite honest with you, I am not sure what exactly made me bring the girl to you."

She smiled. "It's because you have compassion in your heart."

I frowned.

"Not all people do, truthfully in the world we have created, most no longer do. But you have compassion. You brought her to me because you truthfully did not want to see her die."

I went to speak but was immediately cut off.

"You may want to argue with me, make some other excuse, but I can tell you it is true. It is the same reason you have yet to harm Annabelle again; it is the same reason that you sounded so sad when you talked about her the other day. You feel bad, something about her makes you sad. It could be her predicament, it could be because of something you fell for her, maybe you care for her? But also its the same reason you're here to see me. I can tell you want to know more."

I was left with my mouth hanging slightly. No one had dared to talk to me in such a way. It is one thing calling the average vampire a werewolf/shifter sympathiser, but another calling the prince of the King one.

"Mind how you speak Elizabeth," I said with warning laced in my voice.

"I am very old Jace, and I can read your aurora, I am a very powerful vampire, I do not fear you, and I know what I speak is true." She paused. "There is someone I would like you to meet."

A man appeared from around the corner. He had a strange look to him. He looked old and young at the same time.

"I wasn't sure if I was going to let you meet him, this time, but I know now that I can trust you Jace. Even if you don't think I can," said Elizabeth, while smiling up at the man. 

"Hello Jace, my name is Franklin. I, am a shifter, but as you can probably tell that is not all I am."

I looked him up and down, and then with sudden realisation, I looked at Elizabeth with shock and anger. "You turned a shifter! That has been against the law for centuries! How could create a creature so powerful. That isn't just against our laws, but the laws of nature."

There is a reason that vampires only chose to partner with our own kind. Anyone else would soon perish. There was no point in having relations with anyone else for more than, well, a night. It was illegal to turn anyone who wasn't human, and nowadays most vampires have been too snobbish to stay with a human.

Franklin spoke before Elizabeth could respond. "Jace, I am 380 years old, I was turned before the old laws. I was only able to avoid execution because Elizabeth is very powerful, and has very powerful friends. I was hidden, protected."

"This is the reason I am fighting for the rights of werewolves and shifters, is because 397 years ago, I fell in love with a shifter. It took me 17 years to change him, because even then I knew it was wrong, but there was no way I could've lived without him."

I stood up, pushing my chair back. "This is so wrong." I rushed from the room, planning to walk straight out the door and warn the guard, until I heard a weak voice.

"Thank you."

I stopped dead in my tracks. Flashing back to that night Annabelle fell asleep in my arms, right before thanking me for saving her life from Markus. I turned toward the voice.

"I know you heard me, but thank you." I looked towards the weak girl lying on the couch, out of breath, but ultimately alive, and already regaining some colour to her face. Her eyes exhausted, barely open, but she looked into my eyes with what I can only assume is gratitude.

I stiffly nodded and walked out the door, getting into my car, and pausing to look back at the house. I saw Elizabeth in the large window, smiling at me. She caught my eye, and once again I nodded. I sped off into the day. Heading home.

I would keep her secret. For now.

........

EDITED

Hope you enjoyed!

Let me know what you think?
Comment!
Subscribe!

- K

Photo: Elizabeth

Photo: Elizabeth