Chapter Forty-One

Felix and I drove to Christensen Law Firm in separate cars. He was adamant about heading straight to New Jersey at first touch of Arturo's file. I tried convincing him that my brother had nothing to do with Elijah's arrest, but he resisted.

He walked out of this sport Wrangler and casually leaned against it.

"On Saturday's we are open from 10 am to 12 pm. It can get busy in there considering there's only two hours to do work. Everybody knows who you are so you'll either be bombarded with questions or ignored."

"Oh, that's great," I exhaled.

"The first floor is the receptionist and meeting rooms. The receptionist will look at you, you tell her that you're there to talk to Nicholas. She will let you in because you're his daughter in law. You'll proceed to go down the hall to the elevator. You're going to take the second floor and that consists of offices. Go all the way down the hall and last door on the right. His office is right next to Nicholas. Do not let him see you in there. All his personal files should be in his file cabinet. He investigated Arturo on his own time. All official cases from the firm are locked away."

I wrapped my arms around my stomach and could feel it gurgling. "I don't think I can do this."

"Too bad," he said, knudging me towards the entrance.

I glared at him until I made my way into the building. It was spacious, white, and modern. At first sight, I could see a few men gathered in a glass paneled office. Across from it was a curvaceous desk and a black haired woman sitting up straight. I walked over to begin my task of stealing Elijah's file but was taken aback by the woman's appearance.

She was beyond gorgeous with her black hair perfectly grazing on her shoulder, slim face with minimal make up, and looked proper. I looked around at everybody walking around the building and analyzed their appearance. They were all attractive, proper, and confident. There wasn't a doubt that Elijah belonged here, but I on the other hand, didn't belong.

"Can I help you?" She asked, tilting her head.

"I'm looking for Nicholas," I asked.

"Many people look for him," she replied with bored eyes.

"I'm Morena, his daughter in law," I informed, tapping my hands on the desk.

"Oh," she drawled out. "Very well. Down the hall to the elevator, second floor." She focused her attention back to her computer and allowed me to walk away without any further questions.

I tamed my curly waves by pulling my hair into a bun in order to fit in a bit more. I walked out of the elevator and fast walked towards the entrance of the hall but jumped back at the sight of Nicholas leaving his office. I hid behind an unattended coffee stand and waited for him to get into to the elevator.

The elevator dinged at arrival and I slowly came out from behind the stand. I took Elijah's key from my back pocket and ran down the hall to find his office. I fiddled with the key and opened the door.

I turned on the light and examined his office. It was clean, pristine and white. It wasn't big at all, just enough space for his L-shaped desk, two leather chairs, a book shelf and a tall plant in the corner of the room. I walked around to his desk and smiled at the sight of a picture of us from our first date that Pia took. I had worn a beautiful rustic red dress and he wore his breath taking black attire. It marked the beginning of our journey.

The key to the cabinet slipped in with ease into the lock. As I ruffled through his cabinet of files, I realized I didn't know where to start. There were files with bank statement, tax documents, pictures of random people. There were random files that had letters or intials on the tag. It had to be his eay of organizing his work, but I didn't know what they meant. I picked up one with the initials SFD and opened it, only to find pictures of two men kissing in a car. I closed it and placed it back into its original slot.