Chapter Thirty-Six

"He's fine," Elijah informed, sliding his phone back into his pocket. "They extracted the bullet, stopped the bleeding, and he's in recovery. He should be out in a week or less."

I collapsed onto the couch and exhaled deepy. I wasn't able to breathe the entire night. I had been consumed by nightmares, anxiety, and sadness. I witnessed my father shooting the man who shot my brother. It was all too much for me and knowing that Art was a thin line away from death just pained me.

"There's a psychotherapist named Dr. Shepard. She's an outsanding lady and I've made you an appointment to see her on Monday."

"We've done this before, Elijah."

"Dr. Richardson wasn't a good match for you. I think a woman could help you more. You've been through so much, baby."

"Maybe I shouldn't surround myself with people affiliated with crime," I murmured without thinking.

"Morena," Elijah replied. He sat down on the other couch and placed his hand under his jaw. He looked out the window in deep thought and I could see his eyes clouding over.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, sitting up. "I'm not saying you're a bad guy. I know it's your job and --"

"It's dangerous," he interrupted.

"I was going to say you love it."

"I love you more, Morena. My job put you in danger the first time. I'm the reason you have PTSD."

"No, Natalia is the reason I have PTSD. You shared private information with me and my insubordinate attitude almost got me killed."

"I shared that private information with you."

"Look, there's nothing we can do about the past. I'll go see her on Monday to better my future, our future."

I walked over to him and sat by him, running my hand through his untamed waves. He was used to keeping a clean and proper appearance that seeing him in his undone state made me realize that he was hurting as well. He was too focused on me to keep up with himself.

"I love you," I whispered.

He looked at me with darkened eyes. "I love you too."

"I think that's the real problem," I sighed.

"What are you saying?" He almost looked angry. I couldn't tell since I've rarely seen him in that state.

"You love me too much and it's hurting you."

"I live for you," he stated. "Your pain is my pain. Your happiness is my happiness."

"It doesn't have to be like that, Elijah. I understand that you love me but I'm worried that it's going to consume you. You have your own life to live."

He looked away and shook his head. "I don't think I love you enough. None of this would've happened if I just put you first."

I flailed hands up. "Elijah, you're always putting me first. I've put you through hell and you're saying you haven't done enough?"

"Marry me," he requested, snapping his focus back onto me. "Tomorrow. We can set up something intimate. I'll give you my card and purchase whatever you'd like... your dress, shoes, make up, everything." His eyes lit up with urgency as he pulled his wallet out.

I placed my hand on his cheek and nervously laughed as I tried to capture his attention. "Are you okay? Why the sudden proposal?"

"I never had a need to rush into anything until I met you. I refuse to go another day without calling you my wife. If anything were to happen to me, you'd be financially more than okay. If something were to happen to you, at least I'd be able to say you were my wife. I'd love you more than you could ever imagine, Morena. I will make sure you're the happiest woman on earth, I promise."