Chapter Seven

Lucien's POV

Today I woke up with the intent of talking to Alpha Marcus. See about handling this rogue issue over in my pack, my territory. It would make everything so much easier.

'And our mate would come'  Xavier said lowly.

I sighed and got ready for the long day ahead. Showering a little longer than usual to soak up some silence while I can. Once we get there I can only imagine the fight that Marcus will put up out of pride for not having it handled already.

He's not that strong an Alpha though, and it seems that his Beta and my mate run this pack more than he does. He doesn't seem to pay much attention to things unless it involves him directly or he gets something out it. It's sad really because he has a whole pack behind him ready to lay their lives down, when he wouldn't even pick up a finger.

'Don't work yourself up Luc, it'll only make today harder and longer on us' Xavier linked me.

'I know, I'm sorry' I replied back. 'It just pisses me off that there are Alphas much like Marcus, running packs with great potential, that deserve better'

After getting dressed and making a quick breakfast I headed over towards Marcus' house. On my way there I ran through how I was going approach this headache of a conversation without blatantly offending Marcus and his non existent skills in leading his pack.

As I kept walking I felt eyes on me. It was a bit longer til reaching the Alphas house yet, so I knew whoever my new comer was, they weren't a guard. I couldn't help but wonder why someone would be dumb enough to follow me, thinking I wasn't aware. I kept walking as if I knew nothing. Clearing my head and slowing my pace some, I took a few deep breaths through my nose and focused my senses more. Trying to pinpoint where exactly this person was.

After coming up with nothing I let Xavier take over. We stopped and looked around, scanning the surrounding area.

"I know you're there, so you can either come out and explain to me why you've been following me, or I can find you and I'll extract that information myself" I growled impatiently.

I heard sticks snapping, and leaves crunching along with a chuckle, a female one at that. Still unable to scent them I waited and looked to the tree line that the noise was coming from.

Finally, she came out revealing her scent to me.

"Is that so, Alpha Black?" my mate grinned mischievously, a challenge hidden in her eyes.

I swallowed but wasn't sure what exactly to do besides stare blankly back at her. My thoughts however, were going a mile a minute. Why was she following me? Was she curious? How could she hide her scent? I had a million thoughts running through my head. So I said the only thing I really wanted to know right now, the thing I needed to know,

"How were you able to hide your scent from me?" I asked tense, staring her straight in the eyes.

Her eyes shifted for but a moment, however, I saw. She straightened her posture and returned my gaze.

"Where were you headed Alpha Black?" She asked as stoically as she could, yet I heard the tease at the end of my title as it rolled off her tongue. Ahhh, I must say I'm impressed, but she's not getting off the hook that easy. So I continued, egging her on,

"I don't answer to you kitten, however I am interested as to why you were following me?" I answered with a grin of my own.

I watched as she tried to hold back the shiver that traveled the length of her spine as the nickname rolled off my tongue. Then she tensed, coming out of her dazed like state, realization clear in her eyes. Her eyes came to life as her wolf stood with her in this moment, eyes bright as ever and canines as threatening as they are sharp.