Chapter One Hundred & Twenty-Two | Fourth World

Start from the beginning

"What happens if your men return to Viper?"

Falcon poked at the smouldering pile of misshapen wood in front of them. Unlike in modern day, where lighting a fire without the use of a match would take a long time, Falcon didn't know any different and so his method and speed was unique yet effective. The fire wasn't huge, yet it crackled along the wood and gave their frozen fingers an opportunity to warm up.

"If they turned around as soon as they dropped the supplies, then they would have reached over the halfway point by now. If so, then tomorrow we'll meet them on the same route."

Finch snuggled his arms under the shawl, tilting his head towards the man who was speaking, "Even though we're going this way?"

"If you know which path to take, then you know that it loops back around." Falcon reached to his side and brought out some more wood before tossing it on the fire. The heat tickled Finch's cold cheeks, making his skin flush.

Once again, the usual yet oddly comforting silence filled the space between them. Watching the flames flicker and waver proved to apply weight on Finch's already tired eyes. The wind was a force to be reckoned with, leeching out any remnants of energy.

Both men let their hairs down, allowing the strands to fall around their shoulders and hopefully heat them up with the assistance of the fire. Even though they were technically in the wilderness, Finch felt secure. Whether it was Falcon's calm movements throughout their mad-dash out of the clan, or the snuffing of the horse happily munching away on his early lunch, Finch was able to chip away at the lingering anxiety and take consolation from the fact that— for the time being— he was out of harms way.

As such, Finch suggested them getting a bite to eat before they moved on. Falcon suggested that he go and find some animal for them to roast, but Finch turned him down. He didn't want to feel like some housewife as his husband went out to get the grub. Instead he looked towards the bag of supplies, which were set down on the ground to ease the strain off the horse.

He fetched some of the fruits he had grabbed last minute when they were escaping the storage hut. Some of them were apples, but there weren't many of them. Though, given that Falcon was considered one of the top warriors in Viper Clan, Finch had no reservations about going hungry. So he brought them over to the fire, along with the cloth containing the flowers, herbs and roots.

After looking around with a conflicted expression, he spotted a thin slab-type rock. Passing over the ingredients to Falcon, he disappeared to the other side of the shelter and grabbed a few things. He scurried back, shivering from being away from the fire.

Fahren couldn't cook savoury dishes— not successfully anyway— but when it came to sweet things, he considered himself a master.

Setting a rock either side of the fire, Finch took the slab and carefully yet speedily placed it on top of them. With the makeshift platform ready to go, the heat penetrating through the rock and creating an effect like a hot-plate, Finch dropped to his knees and returned to his earlier position. Meanwhile, Falcon was watching with a perplexed expression.

It wasn't so much that he didn't know what the boy was doing, it was more so because of the speed Finch was going at when involving food.

"I need your knife," Finch turned his head and said to the man who was silently watching.

There was a moment of doubt in the silver eyes, but before Finch had to argue with the man, he was handed what he asked for.

Finch gratefully took it and started cutting up the apples, but without a plate to do it on, it took a little longer than he anticipated. Each and every slice he plopped on the hot-plate, and when the last of the bundle of apples was on there, Finch turned his attention towards the supplies he'd carefully protected inside of a piece of fabric.