Chapter 1 - Prologue

Wednesday,

6th January 1971 

 11: 50 P.M.

Our days have become even longer with the coming of the new year–they are now more determined than ever to keep the country united, and our eastern brothers are likewise determined to gain freedom.

There have been small revolts in East Pakistan, and though they've been subdued easily enough, it is clear that these are a fraction of what is yet to come. It is miraculous that they've been able to keep the citizens there subdued enough for them to not have given the official call for secession yet, although I'm not nearly as sure about the means which are being employed for the purpose.

Abba says that if his information is correct, and if the plan succeeds, there is a very good chance of either him, or Farooqi being promoted to Major-General. Abba plans to win Lt. General Beig over by tracking down rogue officers who have deserted the army in hopes of finding the Training camps which the East Pakistani freedom fighters have established. Between maintaining regiments at the border and in East, we're hardly going to be home now.

And yes, I did manage to forget my wallet back home yet again today, which bhaijaan has not failed to notice. He reckons I should put up a note on my closet door to remind me of it. I wonder if I actually should. It'd at least save me from the jokes he makes at my expense.

We have to leave early again tomorrow, Lt. Colonel Khan has called a meeting to review the regiments at the border, and see if they need strengthening. It's going to be a long day.

Good night.

Iqbal S.