21.Chapter 21

Home, let me come home,
Home is wherever I'm with you
Our home, yes, I am home

Home, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

  We arrived in the Leaf Village sometime in the early afternoon. There were many times where I thought I had seen Sasuke walking with his hands in his pockets, muttering something about how Orochimaru was boring, just an explanation of why he left not an apology. But I knew he wasn't here, and he wasn't coming back.
  My heart ached as we walked past Ichiraku Ramen and saw that a certain blonde haired knucklehead wasn't sitting there, burping loudly after his 5th or 6th bowl or ramen. But he wasn't here. He was gone, just like my brother.
  I felt my heart quiver even more as we walked past the dango shop, spotting Team 12's old table that had all four of our names carved into the seats around the table like it was our own spots. That table was now occupied by four girls that I know by name. In four ways, they were the same. They're parents all owned shops on the same street in Konoha, their mom's are still best friends from the age of five, they were the eldest sibling and had one or two younger siblings, one of which had been killed in the fire.
  Kari was once a very kind to me. She used to let me practice braiding her hair while her little sister Mai braided mine, back when I had long hair. Kari now looks at me with sour eyes, blue eyes darkening in a glare. I had grown to be anesthetic to her scowls. To everyone's really.
  Emiko always loathed me, flashing her dark emeralds, always full of hatred. From the second I had smiled at her and said hello she began to despise me. I never knew why, youngest sister Koyuki who was purer then Hinata, had told me that Emiko forbid her to ever speak to me. Her gaze was the one I was most accustomed to.
  Sanae was Daichi's older cousin. She has never spoken to me mostly because she doesn't need to, her dirty looks say more then a thousand words. Her two younger twin siblings were always did the same routine everyday. Lana knew who I was and we had held a conversation for a whooping 47 seconds. Lana is still living but her twin brother isn't. I didn't know what his name was.
  Melony was the only one who's eyes weren't filled with hatred, but with pity. She knew what it was like to have someone you love be pushed into leaving. She hasn't seen her father since her youngest brothers were born. Minouri and Minouru although look like twins, are actually a year apart. Minouru who was the youngest had been paralyzed from the waist down since birth and need help getting out of the house. Apparently the two boys were home alone, so Minouri had to either run out himself or help his brother. Neither of them had enough time. She also had an older brother Takumi.
  "Gina are you alright? I thought you'd be happy to be here. What's up?"Temari asked me, sensing my gloomy expression I retained after we passed the girls at the table.
  "Nothing."I mumbled. I felt Gaara's eyes on me, probably wondering if I'm okay. Normally, I would shoot him a glance telling him I was alright but I just didn't meet his gaze for a reason I'm not sure of.
  Gaara and I had agreed to keep our kind of relationship under wraps. There is absolutely nothing that could come out of Shukaku's vessel dating the last remaining Uchiha becoming known to the public. We never did anything alone in public, nor did we hug, hold hands, or kiss. Gaara wasn't the kind of person to flaunt PDA anyways.
  But I felt his hand reach for mine, squeezing it quickly then letting go just as fast. It served it's purpose, reminding me that he was here and if I needed him he'd be there.
  "Okay, I'm going to report to the Hokage. Then I'm going to the Jounin Counsel so I won't be back until late."Baki instructed, scurrying off in the direction of the Hokage building.
  The Sand Sibling and I walked in the direction of the apartment they had become so familiar with. Along the way a very happy looking Lee shuffled down the street walking toward us.
  "Good afternoon to you all. Gina, Lady Tsunade would like to speak with you."He said in the same cheery voice he always has, walking past us to do something someplace else.
  I wasn't quite sure if I should've brought my bag with me or not. I felt hands on my shoulders, fingers curling around the straps of my backpack and sliding them down so I didn't have to carry them.
  "I'll put it on your bed."Gaara whispered in my ear, his breath ticking the shell of my ear, my cheeks getting warm as it did.
  "Thank you."I murmured and walked to the Hokage building, anxiety building in my stomach of what Lady Tsunade wants to talk about as I neared it.
  Before I had the chance to knock on the door when I got in front of her office, the door swung open revealing a smiling Baki Sensei. I had never seen him smile before. It was pleasant to see him filled with joy. As soon as his eyes reached me his smile dropped, the normal stern look taking over.
  I would not be good as a sand ninja for that reason, having to hide emotions all the time. However that didn't stop me from stealing Gaara's headband and replacing it with mine just to see what I would look like with a Suna headband. Or wishing that the Sand Siblings and I had a home, truly becoming a part of their family, never having to be alone, having them to fall on when I need them. The thing that most intrigued was the thought of Gaara and I sharing a room, seeing that mesh undershirt that showed off his muscular yet lean body everyday, him and I entwined in our own bed, laced in each others scents. That was a image I couldn't and didn't want to get out of my head.
  My heart belonged with Gaara and the Leaf Village. I had two homes. One in a place where I was born and raised, and the other in Gaara's arms on a couch in the Sand with his two siblings that are like family to me.
  I entered the Hokage's office, a little old woman who I knew all too well from childhood standing in front of her desk. I watched her eyes water when she saw me, probably remembering my mother since I did resemble her closely.
  "Lady Tomoko!"I squealed."Why are you here!? Ooooh is it time to start my cat sage training!??"
  "My goodness you look so much like Mikoto."She said those black eyes tearing even more. She then sniffled and looked to the side, collecting herself together.
  "Yes. It is time to start your cat sage training."She explained to me.
  "But the chunin exams start tomorrow!"I whined. There was no way I wasn't going to miss out on those.
  "Gina, would you rather been in Konoha or Mount Bakeneko for your birthday?"Lady Tomoko asked me.
  I completely forgot that my birthday was in a month.
  "Gina, Lady Tomoko is offering you a chance to follow in your mothers footsteps and become a cat sage. I would take it."Lady Tsunade.
  "Can I go say goodbye first?"I asked wanting a long embrace from each sibling before I left.
  "Fine but you will be back here at 1:30, sharp."She ordered, voice like Baki's.
  I dashed home, wanting to pack as quickly as I could so I'd spend every second I could saying goodbye. When I got there I explained briefly what happened and went to the my room to pack up my things. Just about everything I need was already in my backpack that was placed on my bed just as Gaara had told me he do.
  I heard a knock at my door."Come in."I said.
  The door opened to reveal Gaara, a faint sad look in those sea foam green eyes.
  "How long are you going to be gone."He asked.
  "Lady Tomoko said I'd be back in time for my birthday."I explained.
  He shut my door and wrapped his strong arms around my waist, burying his head in my shoulder.I didn't want to go. I didn't want to leave this moment right now.
  "Hey Gaara did you bring that white shirt that has the Sand's symbol on the back?"I asked him, when the idea popped into my head.
  "Yeah why?"
  "Go get it."He withdrew his arms and gave me a questioned look."Just go get it."
  He did as I said and left to go get his shirt. I reached in my back and pulled out the same shirt except had the Leaf's symbol on it. Most likely if Gaara's shirt has his scent, my shirt would have mine.
  When he returned I swapped his shirt with the one I had.
  "Something to remember me."
  He kissed me then with a strong, smoldering force almost making me fall back on the bed. I tried to muster strength to prove I was just as strong as him but overpowered me, his tongue dancing with mine, like he was trying to savoir me, like it would be painful to be without me, my lips, my tongue for a a month.
  I broke apart from him for air, kissing him once more before I zipped my backpack and headed for the living room where my big brother and sister sat.
  I kissed Kankuro's head."I'll miss you."
  Then did the same to Temari."I'll miss you."I repeated.
  And lastly I kissed Gaara for the last time."And I'll miss you."
  "Bye Gina."Temari chirped.
  "See ya later little sis."Kankuro said, focusing back on our show Laced Tears.
  I wish I could watch it with him but I left to meet Lady Tomoko at the Hokage building. Now I could finally follow in my mother's footstep and become a cat sage.