12.Chapter 12

I can’t catch my breath,
Only when you’re close
My heart drops on my chest,
Only when you're close
-Only When You're Close, Zendaya

  The village was in shambles, many buildings broken in need of repair, the loss of the Third Hokage and many fallen shinobi. Daichi was killed by Tokito who was in lead with Orochimaru and Kabuto since the chunin exams had begun. We had found his body in the river by the training grounds two days after the invasion. Lady Sensei is currently in comatose, due to a serious concussion. She had woken up a day after Daichi was found then as she fell asleep, she still hasn't woken up. Guy Sensei is devastated.
  Sasuke and I didn't speak to each other as often anymore. Our house that was once bright and clean was now gloomy and unorganized. We both easily got stressed and had practically had no patience for each other. He had since in one of our fights that he was going to move out and leave me on my own. I said that he needed me more then I needed him and it was partially true, then again partially not. I was the one who cooked and cleaned but I needed Sasuke in my life,I couldn't do without him. I'd be all alone. I'd have no one.
  The lowest point was the Third Hokage's funeral. The fight Sasuke and I had was so horrible, we didn't speak to each other throughout the entire interment. We didn't even stand together. I stood in between Shikamaru and Naruto. As a shinobi, you're not supposed to let your emotions get in the way, but I couldn't help but cry as I thought of all the memories of Daichi and the Third Hokage. Shikamaru held me tightly in his arms as he whispered that everything was going to be alright.
  After the funeral Sasuke gave me a piggy back ride til we reached the house. He held me tightly once we got home until my crying stopped. We apologized to each other but I knew it would take a long time to rebuild the trust we had.
  The next morning I had gotten called into the Jounin counsel room.
   "Ms. Uchiha, you have been selected to take part in an A ranked mission as your first being a chunin captin."She paused to let me nod which I did."During your mission, you will be building bonds between Konoha and Suna. You and three others of your choice will be going on this mission along with three ANBU Black Opps. The three ANBU will explain the mission on the details. Who would you like to bring along, preferably one woman and two other men."
  I pondered this for a few moments."Would it be alright if another new chunin?"
  "Shikamaru Nara?"She asked.
  "Yes ma'am. Also I think if we're going to be in Suna...will we be spending time with the Sand Siblings?"
  She shook her head yes."Yes they have been selected to be the hosts in your visit. Since they are the children of the former Kazekage, we thought it was only right if they were chosen. Is that a problem Ms. Uchiha?"
  "No no no. It's perfect actually. See, I can tell from their last fight, Gaara will easily become friends with Naruto. Hinata, Temari and I all made friends in the tower in the second part of the chunin exams along with Tenten, Ino and Sakura. And I think Shikamaru because, well..."I had to lie.As a shinobi, you cant have your feelings in the way of your mission."Shikamaru has made it clear to me he was wondering how Gaara and Kankuro were doing."I smiled sweetly at her.
  "Alright then. That is Shikamaru Nara, Naruto Uzumaki and..."
  "Hinata Hyuuga." 

"Go rally your squad, pack and meet the three ANBU at the gates as soon as possible. Your mission begins today."I suppressed a small squeal as I bowed and rushed home to pack. I made three clones and sent them to get my squad.
  "Did you get a mission?"I looked up from my top draw and at my older twin leaning on the door frame.
  "Yeah. Um, I got to pick three people to go with me."I smiled at him."Because I'm the leader, kinda. There are still three ANBU going with us."
  "How come you didn't pick me?"
  "Sasuke, sit down."I took his arm and led him to my bed."It's an A ranked mission."I paused for him to nod, which he did."To Suna."
  He stood up then."You're going to the sand? Where Gaara is."
  "Yes. The sand siblings are actually the host while we're in Suna."
  "Who's going?"
  "I picked Naruto, Shikamaru and Hinata."
  "And you didn't pick me?"He sounded a little offended he didn't get to go.
  "Awh are you jealous you don't get to go?"I made a little pouty face and giggled.
  "No! Okay maybe, I just wanna know why you didn't wanna bring me."He crossed his arms over his chest.
  "Sasuke we are going to the Land of Wind.Do you know what the Land of Wind is? Sand. You hate sand. And do you know what it is like? Hot. You hate sand and the heat."
  "What makes you think Naruto will?"
  "Okay, here's my reasons. Naruto because he and Gaara will be good friends. Shikamaru because I think Temari likes him and he's cool, Hinata because she wont complain about how hot it is."He hugged me.
  "You're so smart."He said. I smiled as I returned the hug."How long will you be gone?"
  "Probably a week, maybe two."I packed everything that I would need for two weeks, barely managing to zip up the backpack.
  I met Naruto, Hinata and the ANBU at the gates."Where's Shikamaru?"I asked.
  "Here."He said from behind me, and with that we all took off for the three day adventure ahead us.
  The ANBU stayed quiet most of the way, unlike Naruto. They couldn't tell us their real names so they asked if we could call them A, D and Z. I was pleased that they all had different masks on so it was easier to tell which was which. A had a more cat-like mask, D was more bird-like and had light brown hair, Z's mask was also bird like but he had dark brown hair. Naruto was always asking who was who. We got to know them somewhat well over the next three days while racing through the steamy savannah. They all congratulated Shikamaru, Naruto and I for our matches in the chunin exams.
  "Will we be staying with you guys?"I asked as we neared the village. I was extremely nervous about seeing Gaara and his family. Hopefully it won't be hard to regain the closeness with them. They were just under orders.
  "No you'll all be staying with the former Kazekage's children. We will be staying with the other jonin of Suna to show complete trust."Z answered. I felt a bolt of excitement shoot through me like a rocket.
  We'd be staying in their home. I wondered if Gaara had changed much.
  "Cool how long will we be out there?"Naruto asked chirpily.
  "Gina will be out there for a month, and the three of you will leave after two weeks."My stomach dropped.
  "Why me? Hold on, I only brought clothes for two weeks."
  "There has been a shipment of you're clothes that left the day before us. There has also been two gown and two suits sent."
  "Gowns? Suits?"I asked secretly thrilled.
  "There will be a ball held tonight."A said.
  "A ball of man what a drag."I knew Shika would say that as soon as it came out of A's mouth.
  I chuckled."Shika you're so predictable."
  "It's just up ahead."D said, adjusting his mask.
  Slowly the walls protecting Suna came into view out of the sand. It was the shape of half a colossal dome. Easily it was the size of the Leaf's perimeter as we neared it. There were about six figures standing in front of a slit in the dome, clearly that was the entrance. Gradually, we slowed down to a walking pace.
  I saw two shinobi I did not know, Baki who hadn't changed not one bit then I saw the Sand Siblings. Kankuro was still wearing a full black outfit with the same purple face paint just in a different style. Temari had changed to a long sleeved purple blouse kimono underneath a gray top, with a dark blue skirt and a longer red sash tied in a bow.
  Gaara had changed also. He used to wear a black short sleeve tunic, but had now changed to a maroon long sleeve one with an upright collar, still keeping the white cloth that secured his gourd. Other then than the biggest thing that had changed were his eyes. They were kinder, softer, like a warm gentle campfire rather then a blazing gold blizzard.
  I felt as if time stopped. My breath caught in my throat, mind black except for all my memories of him and cheeks heating with warmth. Fuck butterflies, I felt the whole jungle running around inside my stomach. Air didn't fill my lungs as easy, the dry air not making it any easier.
   We came to a stop as we were about three feet away from them.
  "W-welcome shinobi of the Leaf."Temari said. A so very very awkward silence fell upon our parties.
  I had changed my outfit as well. Now I was wearing a black crop top with a rounded collar, paired with a short black skirt and fishnet leggings that landed at my ankles, seeming to disappear behind my black sandals. My hair was now in a ponytail letting my bangs separate slightly more to my left, with my forehead protector now like Sakura's.
  I looked at the heights of the Sand Siblings. They all looked taller.
  "Okay this is unfair."I skimmed my eyes over the heads of the three siblings."How is it that everyone else gets to grow a foot in five days and I can't even grow an inch in a year?"Temari and Kankuro chuckled.
  "Are you admitting that you're short?"Kankuro asked with a smug grin.
  "I am not short, I am just slightly petite."
  "Gina, you're short."Shikamaru said.
  "The next person who calls me short is going to get hurt."
  Naruto placed his his arm on my head."You're my new standing post."
  "Pain."I said a little annoyed. He grabbed at the very arm he used to make me feel small and winced. I made him feel like he had fallen and broke it."What did I say?"
  "I didn't call you short."He argued.
  "You implied it."I looked forward at Temari.
  "I missed you."Her eyes widened the moment it left her mouth, instantly regretting that.
  I embraced her in a bear hug resting my chin on her shoulder. I had to stand on my tip toes to reach up that far or else my face would've landed between her breasts. I felt her encircled her arms around my waist.
  "I missed you too."I murmured so only she would hear me. I pulled away from our hug."I know you were just under orders and personally I'm okay with that. Don't worry that the mission will fail, we were friends before the invasion and I really hope we can be after."
  She beamed brightly at me."Me too. Can I- we have the honor of showing you guys around."I looked over at the ANBU members.
  "Is that okay?"They all nodded and started talking to the Sand jounin.
  "Alright well it'll have to be a short tour, we're getting a five star treatment for the ball tonight."We squealed together and I grabbed Hinata's wrist to drag her with us.
  "Women."I heard Kankuro say.
  "They're so troublesome."
  "Shikamaru you never change."Temari shouted."Hurry up you guys!"