On the way there, she told me all about her dream, and how she wanted to make new friends. Friends were important for her, as she'd seen me with mine.

We walked up to the building and went in the lift- which she jumped up and down in- until we got to the floor.

"Alexis, I'm going to do the food shop while you're here okay? Have lots of fun, and keep drinking water,"

"Okay, I will have fun,"

I kissed her cheek and hugged her goodbye, then she ran into the room while I made sure all her safety information was correct.

Michael met me at the supermarket and we did our food shop, each of us with a list of needs and wants. We got the needs, and then decided on some wants we could get.

After, we loaded it into his car and he took it home while I picked up Alexis.

However, she wasn't bright and bubbly as I'd imagined she'd be- she was slow and quiet.

"Alexis isn't feeling very well," her coach said, "she's still been a superstar,"

"Oh dear, let's get you home then," I said, picking her up, "thankyou,"

"Dad, my muscles hurt and the lights are bright," she complained.

"Alright, it's okay,"

I felt her head and it was roasting hot, so I put her in the car and headed home as quickly as I could. I rested her on the sofa and helped Michael finish packing, then heard Alexis throw up and grabbed her a bucket.

"Oh baby girl, this is no good,"

"Dad," she cried, "make me better,"

I shushed her and Michael came over, cleaning up the sick on the floor. I took Alexis' top off to cool her down and saw a rash forming, which tipped me over the edge.

I grabbed a glass from the kitchen and warmed it in my hands, then firmly rolled it over the rash- it didn't fade.

"Uncle Mikey is going to clean you up, and I'm going to call some doctors to come and take me and you to the place I work, okay?"

"No," she sobbed, clutching my arm; her hands were freezing.

"Yes sweetheart, okay?"

I grabbed my phone and walked away, calling for an ambulance. I believed she had meningitis, and that could be lethal. I wasn't losing my baby girl too.

"Dad I don't want to go,"

"I work there! All your uncles too, as well as lots of kind people,"

"I don't want to go,"

"It'll all be okay," I shushed, rubbing her tummy.

"Dad," she sobbed, "make it better,"

I shushed her and sang our song, gently running my fingers through her hair. I stayed there until the ambulance arrived, Michael promising to pick my mum up and visit later with some belongings, while I went on the ambulance with Alexis.

She was screaming at the paramedics who were only trying to give her some oxygen, and tears were streaming down her face. It was stressful to watch.

"Alexis, I give oxygen to my patients too. Pretend you're my patient,"

"The light hurts," she sobbed, "daddy,"

She hadn't called me that in forever.

"Close your eyes love, and let them put the oxygen on. If you do, I'll sing to you,"

At that, she did exactly what I told her, her body going still again.

"Carry on, let the good times roll
Sail along, let your path unfold
It won't be long, won't be long, won't be long
You know it's gonna get better
You know it's gonna get better,"

She started to cry again so I took her hand, and continued.

"Say a prayer for the broken bones
'Cause who cares? We're all going home
And it won't be long, won't be long, won't be long
You know it's gonna get better
You know it's gonna get better"

She was quiet for the rest of the journey, taking heavy breaths, and clutching my hand. When we got there, they wheeled her off and I followed. However, I knew I couldn't actually go in yet.

"Cal?" Luke said, "Alexis is the little girl?"

"I think she has meningitis,"

"Okay, right. I'm supposed to be in there with her, I'll make sure she's okay. As soon as we have confirmation and she's on anti biotics, you can come in. You should probably have some too,"

I nodded and sat down, watching as he went off towards where she was. I picked my feet up onto the bench and put my head to my knees, taking a shaky breath. She was so precious to me and I couldn't lose her, not like this.

Not something I should've noticed sooner.

"Calum," mum said, engulfing me into a hug, "Calum, oh sweetheart,"

"Mum," I said, my voice cracking, "I'm so scared,"

"Who's her doctor?" Michael asked.

"Luke,"

"Then she will be just fine," he soothed, rubbing my back, "just fine,"

"We can't always perform fucking miracles though. I can't lose her too,"

"You won't,"

A while later, Luke came out with a small, relieved smile on his face, beckoning us through.

"It was, you were right Cal, but you caught it just in time. She's on oxygen, fluids and antibiotics which I'll get for you in a second, but she's okay,"

She was sleeping in her bed, the lights off as she was sensitive. I took Michael's change of clothes and got into pyjamas, then climbed onto the bed with her.

"She'll be better in no time," mum said, "honestly,"

Luke gave me an IV of antibiotics to kill the bacteria I most likely had from her, and she began to stir in my arms. I shushed her and she whimpered.

"Dad?"

"Right here darling,"

"I want to go home,"

"I know sweetheart, but you've got to get better,"

"Please,"

"I work here everyday, and I promise it is safe and warm, and you can watch the tv and eat nice food. It'll be okay,"

"I don't like it,"

"Why not? You don't need to panic love,"

"I don't want to be where mummy died any longer,"