11

Maya's POV

"Sit" Daniel pulled out a chair for me. "Please"

I sat down and he pushed me in. He had a secluded table set up for us, away from everyone else except the occasional waiter.

This made my stomach turn, I did not want to be alone with this man.

"A-Are you sure we can't sit somewhere else? Like on a balcony or-"

He laughed as he sat down, what's so funny?

"Calm down, Maya" he said. "I know that you're scared of me but you don't have to be. I would never hurt a pregnant woman"

My eyes trailed up his face until I met his soulless eyes. They held no emotion, of any kind. Just...empty.

"I'm not a monster" lies. "I know that you think I am, but your father and I were friends. We go way back to grade school, that's the reason I was so cruel on Rico. He killed my childhood friend, someone I held close to my heart"

Lies, all lies, someone like you doesn't have a heart.

"So why not let me and my family go?" I asked in a small voice as I placed a hand on my belly. It was barely even noticeable yet I still feel the need to cover it. To hide it from him like he doesn't already know.

"You're all safe with me, mi amor" he leaned forward. "If I let you go who knows what the other cartels will do to you"

He's right about the other cartels but not about being safe with him.

"Look at your menu, you must be hungry" he gestured towards the lavish looking menu.

I opened it up, it only had three options for the main entree. I quickly decided on the Mofongo, it's been so long since I've had it.

"What will you be having?" He asked kindly.

I cleared my throat. "The Mofongo"

"Good choice" he grinned. Something about his grin made me so uneasy.

"I'll be right back" he got up leaving me alone.

Ethan's POV

"Let me help you with that!" I jogged over to Amaro.

"Oh thanks" he smiled at me as I helped him unload the mulch from the back of his truck.

Amaro was the head grounds keeper around here. Another man I trusted.

"I am preparing something special for Maya and I need you to make something for me" I said taking down the last one.

"Uh sure what is it?" He wiped his hands on his already dirty pants.

"Come to the shed, I'll show you" I started walked and he began following me.

Once we were alone in the shed I locked it before turning to him with a straight face.

"Woah, what's up man?" He said clearly frightened.

"I'm not here for a project for Maya" I said truthfully.

"Please don't kill me" he started stepping back.

"I'm not going to kill you and don't even try for the garden shears" he was clearly backing towards them "because I promise you will be dead before you can have the chance to even graze me with them." I said quickly. "I know that I can trust you, i want to give you the chance to get your freedom back"

Amaro was only working for Daniel because his mother was a junkie who borrowed too much from Daniel so Amaro is here working off her debt. Although I know he'd rather be home with his baby girl.

"How's that?" He asked.

"I'm going to kill him" I shrugged.

"Ethan are you fucking insane !" He whispered shouted. "If someone even heard you saying that your head would be on a spike by sundown"

"I have a plan" I said.

He scoffed.

"Oh yeah? What's this big plan? And how are you so sure it'll work?" He crossed his arms over his chest. "I can't afford to take any risks, big or small, Ethan"

"So you just want to stay under him forever?" I asked. "You owe him over a million dollars, with the salary that he pays you you'll never pay it off. You'll be working for him for the rest of your life and what if that debt gets transferred to your daughter?"

He stopped to think, I was right, no one wants to live this way.

"Okay, I'm not saying I'm in but what is your plan?" I knew that I had his interest.

"Not much, I just need you to get your most trusted associates on board and when I need you guys I'll let you know" I looked out of the small window.

"Alright fine, I'll get back to you. But don't expect much, people aren't going to give up there lives for some loose ass plan" he scoffed before leaving.

I looked around the shed before grabbing some flowers for Maya.

Grayson's POV

"You like your food?" I ask Emma before I sipped some soda.

"Mmhm!" She nodded enthusiastically as he pulled the onions out of the onion rings to eat the outside. Weirdo.

I had brought her to the mall so we could shop too, stay outta that place for as long as possible. And let me fucking tell you how expensive this little human being is. Shes only eight and she needs so much. Well I doubt she needs three different american girl dolls.

As I scanned the food court my eyes landed on someone familiar. I could only see the back of the head but I know who that is. Or at least I've seen them before.

Turn around, I said in my head wanting to see the persons face. Once they turned it instantly hit me.

It was that girl that was with Evelyn the last time I saw her. Is Evelyn here?

I still care for her, I was a massive dick to her but I still have some love for her. She was admittedly one of the biggest parts of my life.

I watched as she picked up a toddler that couldn't have been older than five.

She started walking away towards the exit.

Fuck, I can't lose her now. I went to get up and go after her but I realized I couldn't leave Emma here by herself.

"Let's go, Em." I said getting up hastily wrapping my unfinished burger in its wrapper.

"But I'm not done" she said looking at her food.

"You can eat it in the car" I rushed as I put the bags of food in the shopping bags before practically yanking Emma towards the exit with me.

Once we were outside I looked around for any sign of them but they were just gone.

Fuck.