Arrival

The Ovrilonian Empire. Probably not the nicest place. Thick blankets of snow cover the land through almost all of the year, and the people are tall, intimidating, hopeless and poor. Winter here is harsh. After the warm, dry summer is gone, there's no escape of the heavy snowing until the middle or sometimes the end of spring. Some places are colder than others, making it even harder to survive for those who are not royalties, nobles or aristocrats. Without any title, there's nothing but suffering for the commoners. Farming is not an option anymore with the lack of necessary materials, tools and workers. In order to save their families, both men and women join the Ovrilonian army, to provide them with just enough food and money to survive on this cursed land.

Wulfacar Reeve. The King of Ovrilon, who's just as cursed as the land he rules. Throwing parties and living like a good, while everyone else is suffering is all he knows and everything he does. He might be Cassandra's father, but their personalities are nothing alike. The widowed man is like a snake. Manipulative and evil. Don't let him fool you! He's the devil in disguise of a tall, yet slender and weak man's body. Day by day, his body fails him even more. But despite his decreasing health, the devil inside him is only getting stronger.

And then there's Zander Reeve. A good-looking, strong gentleman in his late thirties. Born as a prince, he received the best education while Ovrilon was in its golden age. Later on, he became a soldier, a true leader of his army. He's charming and funny, yet strict when in need of seriousness. Dedicated to his job, he never got married or had kids, even though he has always been the ladies' favourite. But of course, Cassandra keeps telling him that it's never late for true love.

And what these two men have to do with each other? The answer is quite easy. As occasional it might be, they are now in the same room, waiting for the guests to arrive.

Sighing, Zander looked at the clock on the wall. It was around five in the afternoon. The sun has already decided to retire for the evening, and the air is getting colder with each passing moment. "They are late." The king said, grinding his teeth together.

Impatient fool. Zander thought. "Patience, Wulfacar. They're travelling from another kingdom, not from the neighbourhood."

"I have much better things to do than wait for-" Before he could finish his sentence, the door opened, and the two men turned their head to its direction. Elsa, Anna and Cassandra stepped in, the two sisters looking at the beautifully decorated room in awe. Wulfacar's lips turned into a smile, but his daughter could see the acting behind his mask. "Ahh, Cordelia! I see you brought friends." Cass groaned, her anger gathering only by the sight of her father. She brought a comforting hand to Elsa's back, giving her a quick reassuring touch. The widowed man rose from his seat, making his way towards the three women. "It's a pleasure to meet such beautiful ladies! My name is Wulfacar Reeve, King of this land."

With a grin, he reached for the blonde woman's hand, intending to press a kiss on it, but then just when he was about to touch it, the other man in the room showed up and stepped between him and Elsa. "Name's Zander. Nice to meet you." He smiled and offered his hand to the young monarch. Annoyed, Wulfacar groaned.

The corners of her lips turning upwards, Elsa took his hand gave it a friendly shake, surprised by the softness of his touch. "I'm Elsa, and this is my sister, Anna."

Stepping beside her sister, the redhead looked at the general with sparkling eyes. "Are you Cassandra's uncle?"

The man laughed, her gaze on his niece as he smiled at her. "Yeah. I hope you only heard good things about me."

"Ahem." Wulfacar coughed, almost begging for attention. I am the lord of this castle! Everyone should pay attention to me, and not to Zander! "If you finished talking about this...nonsense, Cordelia and I have a meeting to attend."