part 11

UPenn College Clinic.

Ifes opened her eyes and found herself lying on the hospital bed, with a band-aid plastered to the spot at the back of her head where she was hurt. 

Mandy, Megan and Ayo sat with some school officials on the seat adjacent to her bed. 

"Oh, Ifes, thank goodness you are awake." Mandy rushed to Ifesinachi's bed and hugged her. "Don't you ever do this again, you hear?" Mandy said, eyes moist. 

One look at Ayo and Ifes knew he had spilled the beans. Only one prayer was in her mind now, that he had not told the officials anything about it yet. 

Megan stood, walked to Ifesinachi's bed and sat down beside Mandy. "I'm sorry this happened to you." Megan placed her hands gently on Ifes to feel her pulse. 

Ifes smiled bleakly. "It's alright. Thank you so much." 

One of the officials walked up to Ifes, standing close to her bed, he cleared his throat. "Mmm! If you ladies don't mind, we would like to ask her a few questions." 

Mandy and Megan adjusted a little to allow Ifes and the officials enough space to interact. 

One of the officials placed a recorder beside her and the other opened his book to jot down points. 

"Good day Miss Uzondu. I believe you are doing better now." 

"Yes, thanks for asking." 

"My name is Mr Dimitri Collins." The official pointed to himself before gesturing to his colleague. "And he is Mr Todd Melbourne." 

The official continued, "We got a report that you were attacked by Mr Ryan Miller after saving him from being hit by an oncoming vehicle. How true is this?" 

Ifes moved her gaze from the officials to Ayo, and he replied with the look that read, "I didn't say anything." 

"Well, it was just a trivial misunderstanding." 

Mr Dimitri shot her a confused look. "Miss Uzondu, we understand that you're trying to protect the interest of a fellow student, but I think it will be just proper that you tell us the truth of what happened." 

"And I just did." 

"But we were told that you were under attack and he saved you," Mr Dimitri pointed to Ayo. 

"Umm! I don't really know what you were told, but I would like to tell you that Ryan and I are friends and what happened between us was just a trivial misunderstanding. You know how students carry rumors around these days." 

"Miss  Uzondu, would you like Ryan to be summoned before the board for violence and indiscipline?" Mr Melbourne asked, unsatisfied with Ifesinachi's last reply. 

"No, leave him be." 

Ayo clenched his fist fuming at her response. This girl was stupid ooo!

"Alright, if you say so. But we'll keep an eye on him to be sure that this doesn't repeat itself again." 

Ifes nodded and the officials stood, thanked her for her time and walked out of her hospital room. 

Mandy and Megan heaved a sigh of relief after the officials slammed the door behind them, then turned to face Ifes. "Thank you for not testifying against Ryan." 

Ayomide sharply turned towards Megan, fuming. "What did you just say?" 

Megan was filled with dread with Ayo's angry tone. 

"What did I just hear you say?" Ayo walked towards Megan like he wanted to continue from where he stopped with Ryan. 

"Umm! Ayo, please calm down. She meant no harm," Ifes called out.